Chapter 20: Gossiping Grannies

The smell, like that of a burning bonfire, crept into the car through the open window. It reminded me of bonfire night, the sights and the smells, but this was no 5th November, this was now, and the bonfire, a house on my street, a home to some poor family.

Unlike so many people living in this country, I had decent neighbours. Nice, normal people that would say hello if the saw us on the street and often helped Mum and Grandma out with cakes for the school bake sale. Dr and Mrs Fielding, he was the local GP, who even helped when Mum went into early labour with Bradley. Whereas she worked in Little Ladies nursery on the high street. The couple had a little boy who died not long after he was born. The last thing that family needed, was this.

I shoved open the door and threw my body out of the car. Leaning on the vehicle, I stared at the sight of horror in front of me. It wasn't my neighbour's house that was on fire, it was mine.

My eyes widened and filled with tears. A thick blanket of black smoke rose from the roof and bellowed out of the windows. A bright blaze of orange danced upon the curtains of my living room. The fire screamed as if the house was slowly dying, taking all the memories of my family and friends with it.

It had been my home for over six years and although I hated it at first, it had become my home. I wanted to hold back the tears, but they flowed freely like a river of sorrow down my cheeks and quickly consumed my whole body. I could feel my heart breaking inside my chest.

The wails and screams of police sirens echoed from all directions. Piercing shrill noises filled my ears. I couldn't stand it a moment longer. Although my legs and whole body ached like nothing I'd ever felt, I carefully moved towards my mum, one step at a time.

"Mum! Mum!" I called and hurried as fast as I could to be by my mother's side.

A thick police cordon stopped us from getting any closer to the house. She stood there, as close as she could, tears streaming down her face. I watched as a policeman approached us, a serious look on his face.

"Mrs Leighton?" He questioned
"It's McGee," Mum replied.
"Are you the homeowner?"

Mum nodded, "it's not next doors house is it?"

He shook his head, "I'm afraid it isn't your neighbour's house, it is yours. The fire brigade is trying to put the blaze out, but you and your family will have to find somewhere else to stay for the time being. We can arrange hotel accommodation if you would like?"

"No, no, we can stay at my mum's." She paused and looked at me, "can you phone grandma?"

I'd lost everything. My home, my belongings, my tv, but at least I still had my family, or so I thought.

"Someone needs to phone Derek." Said Mum as she wiped the tears from her eyes, with the tissue she kept stuffed up the sleeve of her pastel blue blouse.

I took one look at her. She was clearly in no fit state to be phoning anyone. He was the last person I wanted to phone. I didn't even want to inform my grandma, but we had nowhere else to stay that night.

I grabbed my phone and dialled my grandma's number. It was 11.00 on a Monday morning, so I knew she wouldn't be at Bingo and synchronised swimming wasn't until 1 in the afternoon. The phone rang and rang as if stuck on an endless repeat of ringing.

"The person you have called is unable to take the call. Please leave a message after the tone."

Damn!

Ok Chloe, think. Where would she be at 11 am? Think, what was the last thing she said... I highly suspected swimming club. Gym and a Swim was only a few minutes walk away from the house, but the beating had left me feeling lightheaded and I still aches all over. The last thing I needed was to walk 20 minutes.