Chapter 2

Ryan messaged his best friend, Alby, to meet him in the corridor of the library as soon as he reached there. He didn't want Jessy to begin another argument about how he has been affecting Airin's studies. So he decided to wait there instead of going in.

He had met Airin during the students exhibition week. It was love at first sight for him. They got chance to know each other during the week. It didn't take long before Airin fell in love with him.

He had been waiting there only for five minutes when he saw Airin and Jessy walking out of the library hurriedly. They were busy talking to each other and didn't notice him. He walked towards them puzzled about their unusual behaviour.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he walked up to them.

They both looked up startled as they hadn't noticed him approaching.

"Oh! You scared us. We were talking about a haunted house." Airin said.

He laughed at them. "Don't tell me that your research project is about some stupid ghost haunting a house somewhere". He mocked.

Jessy's face turned red. Without uttering a word, she thrust the newspaper article into his hands and stood with her arms folded. He began going through it. Jessy and Airin joined him.

HAUNTED HOUSE REMAINS A MYSTERY AT MERRILL.

One of the houses among the estates at Merrill has been reported as haunted for an year. After the mysterious death of its inmates, people began hearing weird noises and screaming from the house at night. As time passed, noises were heard even during day time. There were also reports of ghost sightings. It was not brought up to the attention of the public as this place has very few residents.

But one day, a dead body was found in the front yard of the house. The place has since been deserted.

Meanwhile, Alby approached the library as per his friend's message. He was a tall, medium built boy with blue eyes. He saw Ryan, Airin and Jessy peering into something. He came behind Ryan and peeped to see what it was.

Ryan was reading the last sentence when he saw a head beside him and he screamed. That made Jessy and Airin scream too.

Ms. Suzan came out of the library and glared at them. That made all of them get out of the area as quickly as possible.

When they reached out of the librarian's view, Ryan turned to Alby, "You scared me out there."

"I was just trying to have a look at what you three were looking at so curiously", Alby replied trying to prove his innocence.

Before they could say another word , Jessy said, "Let's go to the canteen and talk."

The canteen was in the next building. Compared to library, canteen seemed to be packed. There were groups of boys and girls everywhere. Luckily, their usual spot was empty.

As soon as they settled down, Airin began,"Who on the earth still believes in ghosts?" Airin didn't believe in ghosts at all. She thought that it was just a creation of imagination especially by writers and people in the movie industry.

Jessy looked at Airin. She had kept her belief of ghosts to herself. She knew that some souls wandered around.

Alby supported Airin's view. He said, "I don't understand how people can believe in this nonsense even in this 21st century."

Jessy decided to voice her opinion," I don't think it is nonsense. There are many people who died without fulfilling their desires. Their spirits are known to be wandering around, not able to cross over."

Ryan who usually argues a lot with Jessy was on her side this time, "I think Jessy is right. I have heard stories where some souls are vengeful and leave this earth only after their revenge."

Jessy was surprised and happy at the same time. She hadn't expected Ryan to support her. She tried to explain the dangers they could face by telling them about the stories she had heard. She even said how a ghost could possess someone.

However, Alby insisted on going and Airin agreed to it. She promised to search more information about it. She also suggested going in broad daylight. At the end of the arguments, she somehow convinced Ryan to go. Jessy was left with no option but to agree otherwise she would be left out. All four of them loved adventure.

Jessy looked at her watch and announced that they were already getting late for their classes. Thus, the group dispersed. After school, they went home agreeing to collect as much information as possible.

--------

The next day, they had a busy schedule. They were able to meet only during their break. They were at their table sharing the information they found.

As promised Airin had done her research and had some information to share, "That house was known as Crystal Lake Estate and was owned by a police officer. He stayed there with his wife and daughter. He and his wife was killed in an accident and their daughter was found dead the next day. Police concluded that it was a suicide."

Jessy interfered,"No wonder, people seem to have seen more than one ghost. I also tried to find some information about the house. I read that people have actually seen ghosts there. Someone dared to go and what they found next day was just her dead body."

Alby interjected, "The girl who was found dead was a college student. Autopsy reports show that she died from heart failure and that proves that a ghost did not kill her. I also found out that the place mentioned is not far from here. We could get there on our bikes."

"We have a holiday tomorrow. Why not go there and check it out for ourselves." Airin added.

Everyone agreed. Alby was eager to prove that ghosts don't exist and they are just imagination of people. On the other hand, Jessy wanted to prove her views. She prayed that none would be hurt and would be home safe by night.

They went home after discussing a plan for the next day. Airin decided to go over to Jessy's place for a sleepover.