The Transfer Students Part 2

Nicole Summers

"I thought you were going to be late," I whisper to Jace as he takes his assigned seat right next to me. "Did you two have a heart-to-heart talk? Am I expecting you to have a boyfriend by next month?"

He rolls his eyes before giving me a grin. "Leandre being the new guy saved me from the wrath of Mrs. Dane. She was looking forward to meeting him," He ends his statement with furrowed eyebrows. "And I'm waiting for my soulmate, Nikki. I'm relieved to know that person isn't him." He shivers at the thought of him and Leandre being soulmates.

"Lucky you, then. You should take him out for a date. You'll never know he might be your soulmate," I joke and wink at him before opening my textbook. "Did you bring your book?" I turn my head to face him, wondering if he is listening to what I am saying at all.

Jace gazes directly at the desk in front of him. Both of his arms are on the desk as he fidgets his fingers and purses his lips.

"Jace? Are you okay?" I interrogate. It's not like him to just stare off blankly into space.

"Hmm?"

"Do you have something in your mind? It seems like you're distracted," I ask while keeping eyes on him.

He shakes his head and chuckles at my reply. "It's nothing. I just realized I forgot to do the assignment for the Social Sciences class. Can I copy yours?"

"Are you sure that's all?" I ask to make sure. He doesn't budge which causes me to sigh. "Fine. I'll give it to you during lunch."

Leandre had to introduce himself again. I have no idea if it was really necessary since the teachers probably know him and Xandrine by now considering the fact that they are the only new students that joined our school when half of the semester has already passed.

Like earlier, those who do not know him are gawking. That's understandable considering he's the epitome of a god with his good looks and hot body.

I huff out a breath in frustration. Should they be doing that? Of course, not. They shouldn't be staring at him with heart eyes! Still... it's not like I can do anything about it. I grab the water bottle in my bag and take a drink.

"Do I sense jealousy?" Jace teases while leaning toward me slightly.

I choke on the water I was drinking and begin coughing. This made the others divert their eyes and attention onto me, including Mrs. Dane.

"Are you alright, Miss Summers?" Mrs. Dane worriedly questions. She slowly walks towards me.

I nod my head as I compose myself. I glower at Jace for asking me that question. The idiot is trying his best to hold in his laughter. Great. I embarrassed myself in front of the new guy.

----

The noisy cafeteria is already full of students the moment I arrive. Of course, the students are busy chit chatting with each other. Some are trying to buy their food while some are studying while eating. I search around for an empty table so I can wait for my friends. I manage to find one near the window and take my seat there. I grab the paper bag and water bottle from my bag.

Where are they?

I grab my phone to text them only to find four messages from Elina, Caleb, Kathleen, and Jeremiah. Caleb and Jeremiah mentioned that they had errands to run for the organization they joined last year. Elina and Kathleen said they had to go to their out-of-school organization meeting.

To: Jace
Hey Jace! Where are you? I'm already in the cafeteria.

My phone beeps. It did not take him too long to reply.