Corpse

"Is this the vampire you spoke of?" A woman with light blonde hair questions the werewolf who hired her.

The vampire is slumped down on the ground, her back leaning on the brick wall. The hunters placed a shackle on her bony limbs with its chain attached to the walls. Her eyes were closed and sunken, indicating that it's been a while since she feasted properly on human blood. Her black hair is in a mess and her skin looked pale. Overall, it seemed like she was closer to the brink of death.

"Did you perhaps use a hallucinogen on her?"

The vampire mutters, "Master, forgive me."

'So she has a master. This person fell victim to the schemes of the higher-ups.' the witch thinks.

She squats behind a yellow line where the werewolf told her was a safe zone, feeling uncomfortable with her jeans. Sighing, she complains internally, 'I should have worn something more comfortable. Why did Zinnia even set me up with this job?'

The guardian assisting the woman nods, before elaborating, "We did, Ms. Snow. We just gave her one a few hours ago. Her next dose is in half an hour."

Ms. Snow nods in understanding. "That's good. The spell won't work unless she's awake, even if she's hallucinating. Please let two guards keep watch. She might try to attack us once she realizes I'm trying to invade her memories."

"Yes, Ms. Snow."

The guards stand on both sides of the witch, waiting for her to make her move on the vampire. They observe closely as the witch approaches the vampire, readying themselves to hold the vampire down in case she tries to harm the witch.

Ms. Snow walks towards the vampire and once the vampire is an arm's length away from her, she kneels in front of her to level with her position. She extends her arm and slowly places both palms on the vampire's shoulders. The vampire immediately grabs hold of her wrists, noticing how the proximity of her presence.

"Master. Is that you? Please forgive me. Give me another chance! I'll bring the blonde girl to you. I promise!" A hint of fear and guilt flashes on the vampire's blue eyes, her voice shaking and trembling.

Ms. Snow's eyes grow wide, not knowing what to do with the current situation. If she says even a single word, there's a chance the vampire will find out that her voice is different from the vampire's master. She turns her head and looks at the guards beside her.

The vampire's grip on her wrists suddenly tighten. "YOU ARE NOT MY MASTER! WHO ARE YOU?"

The guards immediately grab the vampire's hands.

"Elina! The sedative!"

A girl with bronze skin wearing a lab coat enters the room, rushing to the vampire's side. She removes the cover of the syringe needle and immediately injects it into the vampire's right deltoid.

"It's a good thing I thought of coming here right away. That vampire almost hurt you, Niks," Elina comments before looking at the witch. Her eyes widen as she realizes her mistake. "Oh, I'm sorry, Ms. Snow. For a second there, I thought you were my friend. You two have the same rare hair color."

Elina stands up and excuses herself.

The vampire's energy slowly drains out of her body, making her lose her hold on Leila's wrist. Both her arms fall to the side, the chains clinking on the floor. Her breathing steadies as she relaxes, her eyelids starting to droop.

'That's odd. The vampire's energy is supposed to be gone by now. Why does it seem like there's peculiar energy flowing inside her?' Leila thinks while observing the vampire. 'It's probably remnants of the magical energy vampires have after they fully turn into one.'