3

three

I pulled the cloak tighter around me as a sharp pain shot up my foot from stepping on a rock, my feet already ached enough from walking around in thin slippers.

The numbing pain in my toes just had to be ignored, I never walked so far in my life, let alone walked on anything that wasn't wood flooring and having to find a ride to a boat wasn't going to be an easy task.

Or at least that's what I thought.

I kept going forward. I was starting to see other people after a while, holding lamps while walking on trails similar to mine. They kept getting closer to each other with every step, all of them moving towards the same area yet still they didn't bother to meet.

I was closer now to them than before, I sped up as I caught sight of a carriage but I decided to stop and watch, noticing how they would give the driver a few coins for a ride somewhere. I smiled at everyone who looked at me which wasn't many and it wasn't much but to me it was like a whole new world full of different people.

The only people I ever knew were Mama and Papa.

I was pushed forward. For a minute I was scared that I would land on the ground, it would not only hurt but also would be very embarrassing.

"Oh, miss!" A voice came from behind me at the same time a rough hand grabbed my arm, and I was pulled back by whoever owned that voice.

I looked over to see a boy standing beside me, just inches taller than me.

He grinned and continued speaking, "I didn't see you there with that dark cloak on! No light either."

"I'm sorry," I apologized as I patted down my cloak, smoothing out the fabric.

"I'm the sorry one, miss, I ran into you!" His eyes shined in the darkness with an odd glow, "I was rushing to get on that ride!"

"That's what I'm doing!" I said a little too excitedly.

"Better get going then, these seats get taken up fast!" He told me.

He grabbed my arm once again and pulled me towards the big carriage, cutting off a few people who were walking normally unlike me who was being dragged behind a stranger. I took a few coins from my mama's purse and handed it over to the driver, he thanked me and I climbed into the carriage with the boy following behind.

"See, what I tell you?" I glanced back to see the boy speaking to me, looking at me with a grin where one side of his smile was higher than the other, "we got the last two seats!"

"Oh, we did?" I asked and nearly tripped on my own two feet.

"Yes, miss."

"I guess that's good for us then?" I asked, trying to step over someone's legs.

"Of course! I don't know what I'd do if I missed this ride to the boat," he confessed and pulled off his hat to reveal dark, thick curls.

"You're going to a boat too?" I asked, "to France by any chance?"

"That's exactly where I'm going!"

"Me too!" I exclaimed as we sat down at the very front, giving us the perfect view of the road we would be travelling on.

"You ever been there?" The boy asked me.

I didn't remember anything of France, I was only a baby. "Once," I answered, "a long time ago."

"Yeah, I've been there a few times but I only go to pick up things."

"What do you get there?" I asked him, looking down at my hands. I realized then I was missing one glove, only one hand was covered. Quickly, I slid off my glove and stuffed it into Mama's purse.

Mama's voice was in my head in seconds, "Ugly hands!" But it would have to do until I get another pair.

"The werewolves, they're popular for their big parties, you ever been? They're fancy, wearing suits and good dresses. Anyway, I go to France and pick up a few things from a seamstress for them," he answered and played with the fabric of his hat.

Mama's words echoed in my head, "Amoret, the beasts are dangereux!"

"You," I lowered my voice, he took the hint and leaned in closer to me, "you pick up things for the beasts?"

"Some of them don't really like that name, uh, they're more for werewolf. I mean, beasts is fine and all, but they're in control of their wolf." he corrected me and his dark eyes looked at the opening of the carriage, watching the road move as the carriage kept going. He came back to me, "Be careful who you say that to."

"I've only ever called them beasts. They're bad, aren't they?"

Mama said they'll kill to get the things they want. They won't stop at nothing.

"Miss, they're not all bad. Most of them are really good. Hell, I bet they're nicer than most humans!" He defended them as he wrinkled his nose.

"I heard they're murderers," I told him.

"They don't have the best reputation for not killing but you can't let that define them!" He sputtered, "they're good people, I swear it!"

I wanted to change the subject but I also wanted to keep talking about them. Mama had a completely opposite opinion.

"Maybe," I said, there was no way for me to fully know how they really were. I faced down to see my sad looking hands, chewed up nails and skin tearing on my fingers from the constant chewing and picking.

Mama's words began listing themselves off in my head, "Murderers, killers, aggressive, jealous, territorial, evil, demo-" I shook my head.

"Hey, Miss?"

"Yes?"

"What's your name?" The boy asked, "I just never heard you say it, you never heard mine either. My name is Flynn."

"My name is Amoret," I told him with a smile.

"That's a pretty name," Flynn complimented, "how old are you?"

"I'm eighteen," I answered, "and you?"

"Oh, I'm only thirteen."

"What?" I looked at him, he didn't look that young. Oh, and he was out on his own. Is he allowed? Maybe he was lying, maybe he ran away from home. "That doesn't seem safe, to be out at night without your parents."

"Don't worry," Flynn laughed and ran a hand through his messy head of curls, "I got friends and family all around."

"I guess that's good," I spoke, nodding to myself.

"Amoret?"

"Yes?" I asked.

"We're in werewolf territory."

W O R D  C O U N T : 1151

This is honestly a filler but also very much needed! I needed to add Flynn in and I thought this would be the perfect moment to

T R A N S L A T I O N S

Dangereux - Dangerous