35

thirty five

I stomped my way down the hall until I came to a certain room, one that seemed to call me forward, and I knew that it was the right one because as soon as I saw it, the door practically jumped out at me, and begged me to open it.

Shaky thoughts still filled my head and stayed there, no matter how hard I wanted them to stop, why would Mama feel guilty? She's not the one who killed him. I was able to push my questions to the back, or at least for now.

With nothing but determination on my face, with sharp blue eyes and shaking legs, I placed my hand on the doorknob, and got ready to pull it open, but before I got the chance to, another crash.

Curiosity got the best of me as I could finally hear the loud, angry voices behind the door clearly, wanting to know what was being said and done, I cupped my small ear and placed it against the wooden block that was keeping me from knowing what was going on. Flynn even followed along by copying my movements, and putting his ear against the part of the door that was just above my head.

Looking up, I saw the way confusion was etched into the features of his face. What, did he really think that I would just barge in without snooping first? Made that mistake once or twice.

"Why did you take her?" I heard my mate's voice, soaking in anger as he demanded an answer, and my heart clenched at the sound of his next words, both with terror and affection, "I'll kill you if you hurt her."

Another crash.

A sick cough filled the air as Alpha Kendrick tried to breathe easier, I could hear his troubles by the way he responded with a low, dark chuckle, "Don't worry, you would know if she was hurt."

"I'll ask again," Kaius growled out, "where is she?"

"I'm sure you can sniff her out," Alpha Kendrick's voice got louder, his words coming out with nothing but venom as he taunted my mate again and again, "you've done it before."

Another crash.

"Where is she?" The words dripped off his tongue again with anger, and I could almost feel my mate's blood pressure growing as he practically screamed out his words.

"I guess you won't find her then," Kendrick spoke, another crash, "no wolf can handle that much wolfsbane, soon enough he'll go crazy and rip her apart. I highly doubt that a human would be able to survive an attack from a feral wolf."

Looking hesitantly up towards Flynn, "If-If he can't even tell I'm here, then how did you find me?" I asked in a quiet voice.

He glanced down, whispering back slowly, "I already knew where you were, Amoret. I didn't have to look."

"Wait," I paused, "does that mean they don't know I'm here, waiting outside the door?"

"Alpha Kendrick had this place covered in wolfsbane a bit ago after the Jordan, er, Axel incident, he's paranoid like that, and I got pretty used to it after a while, but the rooms like you were locked in are very different. The wolfsbane down there is visible, it's everywhere and on everything," Flynn explained, shaking his head quickly and shuddering. "The worst thing I've ever had to witness."

Another crash.

"What did Kendrick mean by a feral wolf?" I questioned, "Who was he talking about? The only other person there was Wyatt, and he wasn't bad."

"Amoret, he was talking about Wyatt. Alpha Kendrick has wolfsbane everywhere now, and since Wyatt has been locked away for years, in a place that already had wolfsbane, soon enough it'll get to him," Flynn answered. "Soon, Wyatt's wolf will be forced to take over and when the human side has no control, he will attack anyone near him."

"He would have killed me," I said slowly and quietly, the thought finally registering to me as I stumbled back.

The ground beneath me was the only thing I was looking at, staring at the floor as I kept repeating the scary words over and over in my mind, Wyatt would have killed me.

The door swung open in one quick movement with no warning at all, the handle crashing against the wall so hard that it was sure to leave a dent, and at the same time Flynn's body came flying backwards to hit harshly against the wall opposite to the door.

My head snapped up, and my heart had already started beating violently in my chest as the time seemed to completely stop. The fear of something happening too quick took over.

Familiar green eyes stared back into mine, and before I could realize what was happening, he grabbed onto my small body and pulled it against his much larger one. His arms wrapped around me tightly, his face digging into the side of my neck as my hands went up around his shaking body.

"Kaius," I whispered.

Behind me, Flynn was mumbling to himself, saying something along the lines of, 'Of course he could hear us.'

Kaius did nothing but growl against me, and as I relaxed into his touch, I looked behind his tall body to see a badly beaten Kendrick.

From what I could see, Kendrick's face was bleeding and bruised, but he was barely healing at all, and one of the main things that I've remembered from the many stories about werewolves that Mama told me was that werewolves have an extremely fast healing process. He was slumped against the wall as broken objects were littered around the room like garbage, and once Kendrick noticed that I was looking at him, he gave me this smile.

"K-Kaius," I hit his back lightly, "what did you do?"

Kendrick's voice broke as he responded instead, "I'm surprised he didn't do worse, but you can't really hurt the person you owe. Now, can you?"

W O R D  C O U N T : 1058

Your comments mean so much to me, like honestly, it makes me much more confident with my writing!

Anyways, I hope your guy's days are going better than mine because I've been so stressed the past few days.

Also, very sorry that my updates are very slow!