6

six

After saying a quick goodbye to Macia we left the shop and began walking down the street, the whole time I kept sneaking glances up at Henrik, hoping that maybe he would start the conversation so that I wouldn't have to.

But like Mama always said, "You can't always get what you want, mon petit amour."

"Henrik," I started, gaining the confidence, "I'm sorry for last night. I wasn't dressed properly and I promise I won't do that again, I never do that. I barely ever see anyone."

"Hey," he smiled down at me, taking away the awkwardness I thought was there and crushing it, "it's alright and honestly it was my mom's fault for taking off your cloak."

I giggled a little, "I guess you're right."

We walked quietly until Henrik stopped at an alley, he nodded for me to follow, "Come this way, there's a bunch of street vendors down this road."

He grabbed my tiny hand with his own, holding it. His hands were big, like Papa's but they were soft, unlike Papa's. Mama's voice was there again, "Ugly hands." I tried to ignore her but still, I chanted over and over, "Don't look at them."

I followed him through the empty alley until it opened up and I could see all the mini booths set up, all the vendors smiling and showing off their items.

It was a weird feeling, being practically stuck to Henrik's side as we passed through the crowd. Who knew it would be completely filled with people so early in the morning? Henrik answered my own question without me even speaking about it, as though he was reading my mind.

"It's usually always like this if you go early, people are trying to get the fresh goods and the best stuff."

"Oh, I can understand that," I said. A new problem popped up in my head, "Uh, Henrik, I don't have any money with me."

"That's okay, I can pay-" he patted the side pocket on his pants, "-think of it as a welcoming present. You pick something out and I'll buy it."

"That's very nice of you," I told him, "but I don't think I'll be able to choose."

I observed the vendors, they were all looking bright and speaking loud. Many of them were just yelling out what their products were. I didn't know what I wanted more. One stand was selling jewellery, I saw a necklace that I liked. Another stand was selling bread, I wanted to try a cinnamon loaf so bad. But it was the last stand I looked at that really got my attention, I knew I wanted something from it immediately, a comb.

"Look, Henrik! I want that," I declared, my mind made up. I let go of Henrik's hand and ran up to the stand, continuing to 'ooh and aah' at the pretty silver comb.

Henrik paid for my comb without question, smiling at me as I held the comb to my face. It was so beautiful, Mama would have loved it.

"Are you a fan of combs?" Henrik asked, leading me away from the crowd and taking me back home.

I blushed slightly when his hand wrapped around my own for the second time.

"I guess so. My mama loved them, she always wanted new ones and sometimes she would tell Papa that I wanted one even though it was her who really wanted another one. She does my hair every morning for me," I answered.

"You must miss her, huh?" Henrik asked as we walked back up the same street we came down.

"Of course. I miss my mama and my papa very much," I told him as I stared down at the comb in my hand.