Perfect denial

Matthew

At the noon Mika called asking me to come over to the grocery store where she works on weekends to help her father. I was afraid that she is gonna bombard me with her questions, however I went. I didn't had a choice I needed to borrow money from her. Fortunately luck was on my side. The shop was crowed she did not get a chance to ask me anything . So I borrowed the money and left the store.

It was almost five when I got ready to go to the bar to hand over the money as I locked my doors and turned around George came out of the car smiling with content.

"why are you here... " I rudely asked.
" to escort you to the party......" he casually replied.
"I am going nowhere" I sternly rejected
"but you are out and about to leave......either you come own your own or I am going to kidnap you" he unscrupulously threatened me like a mobster.

I rushed to door in an effort to unlock it but he lunged forward hoisting me in air, shoved me inside and started the car. I ordered him to take me to the bar as a condition to get my  compliance to behave in the party which he gladly accepted. We stopped and I got out of the car making my way to get inside the bar"... stop following me" I turned around when I heard the foot steps behind me. He suspiciously eyed me up and down as if warning me ' don't run away' and retrieved himself back to the car.

Later when we reached at Sam's house George steered us through the crowd and we stopped in front of a man in suit. They exchanged a knowing look before George left me alone with him.
"Ah... You must be Mathew" he extended his hand" I am Sam's father" I nodded in acknowledgement while shaking his hand. "enjoy the party...... I will be free in a minute to catch up with you"  he patted his hand on my back and excused himself.

My eyes rapidly swept across the hall. The too much chattering, clinking sound of glasses, occasional uproars of cheers.... all seemed suffocating my lungs.....involuntarily my steps made way to the restroom. I splashed my face with cold water to ease the tensed mind. I searched my pocket to get my handkerchief out but I jumped a few feet away when I heard an grave tone behind me.

" You know after George you are the first person he is so close with" Mr. Beckett said with a sense of nostalgia "I did not get a chance to be near him.  I wanted to but...... " he forced a sad smile that hardly reached to his eyes
" I was too shattered from the death of my wife to build a
father - son relationship with him".

"I am sorry.... what happened " I too lost my mother at an early age so I knew the pain of loosing someone.

" Her car was broken so she took mine and....."his voice trailed off without completing the sentence "My business rivals wanted me to be dead. I was the target but she died instead of me.....they made it look like an accident" he was broken but tried hard to keep himself composed. So I distracted him from the oppressive memories.

" does he know? "

" Samuel knows nothing about it " he still thinks that I sent him away to be a successful business man but I did this to protect him...... he used to misunderstood people he is still a egocentric kid" he paused for a moment and said ".... he needs you".

"What....? "The words dropped like a bombshell.

" He needs to open up to someone....."

"I don't understand you...... I mean why are you telling me this " I almost shouted in agitation.

" .. really?" he dig his phone out of his pocket and waved at me. A picture of Samuel and I sleeping together flashed, the same which Michael uploaded on the school site"..... Henry told me about you guys".

I bowed my head in embarrassment and struggled for words" it was a mistake.... It's not like this. You are getting it all wrong".

"May be this photo is a mistake but what about you? " I looked up only to be greeted by his questionable glare"What about the last night with all clamoring and......"before he could have said anything further Sam came in. Mr Beckett left after whispering a few words " don't let him go...."