Chapter Thirty

Mason reached over and changed the song. Kane smirked over at him, it seemed that Mason was one of those people who seemed to only get through half a song before changing it over to the next one. On anyone else, Kane would have found it annoying, but with Mason it was just endearing. He kept his eyes on the road but couldn't stop the occasional glance over towards him, just to watch Mason bobbing his head to the beat or tapping his fingertips against his knee. Kane felt like he could drive forever with Mason beside him.

Kane glanced back at Nora, only to see her in the same position she had been for the past three hours, headphones in her ears and her head pointed towards the window. Kane wanted to say something to her. He wished that they could all talk together, but he also feared that getting her to speak would bring out more anger, and so he held his tongue.

"I wonder why this witch doesn't have a phone," Kane wondered out loud. "It would have been so much easier to just call her."

"Your mum said she lives on her own, outside the pack. She might not use technology," Mason offered.

"Yeah," Kane replied. "You're probably right."

Mason reached down and touched the watch which sat on his wrist. "Let's just enjoy this adventure as it takes us. Who knows when we will be able to do this again."

"You're right," Kane said. He reached over and laid his hand open on the centre console. Mason reached over locked their fingers.

Kane felt Nora's eyes on them but he didn't let go of Mason's hand.

They made it to the hotel just after nightfall. Kane turned the key into the room. There were two queen beds to one side of the room with bleached white sheets. Opposite the beds stood a small table and chairs, a couch and a very old looking television. Kane walked down the narrow hall, past the bathroom, and went to the other end of the room. He opened the blinds which revealed the car park below.

"Nice view," Nora said with a small laugh as she trailed in behind them.

"Five star view right there," Kane agreed. He turned just as she threw her bags on one of the beds.

"Do you mind if I take this one?" she asked.

"I don't mind at all."

It only then hit Kane that he and Mason would be sharing a bed. He didn't even want to think about how hard it was going to be to not kiss him.

Mason dropped his bag next to the bed and threw himself onto it. "That was a long drive," he murmured.

"Is everyone happy if I go get food from that little store back down the road?" Kane asked.

Mason nodded with closed eyes. Nora had grabbed pyjamas from her bag and nodded as she passed him to head to the bathroom.

Kane decided to walk to the store. He was more than sick of being in the car. Cars drove fast past him as they travelled down the long road. As he walked, his phone started ringing. He only had to glance at the caller ID to sigh out loud. It was Adam. He hadn't responded to a single one of his calls. He stared at the photo that had popped up on the screen of the two of them. It was from one of Peyton's parties. They stood with red cups in their hands and smiles on their faces. He didn't recognise the faces in that photo anymore.

He declined the call. When his phone rang a second time he had assumed it would be Adam again, however this time it was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

A peppy voice flowed through the phone. "Hi there, is this Kane?"

"Yes. Who is this?"

"Oh," the happy voice said, "I'm Eve! Eve from the Rosemont pack."