Chapter Thirty-Nine

Kane sat at the small table with his feet tapping against the ground. He hadn't slept, his worries for Nora plaguing him every moment of the night. He had almost left the hotel room more times than he could count. He would have gone straight to that address written in on the note, angry and vengeful. He would have tried to save Nora. He would have fought every rogue that stood in his way, but he might have killed them both in the process. That was the only reason he was still sitting in the hotel room.

He glanced at the sofa, it had been righted, but only a few hours before it had been on its side. One of the few pieces of evidence that something horrible had happened here. There had been glass shards on the floor, but Mason had cleaned them up. Now, the only evidence which remained was the note left by the rogues. It had to be the rogues, there was no one else that would have done this. There was no one else who wanted Mason.

Kane wondered what he would tell Nora's family. He shuddered at the thought. He tried to push it from his brain, but images of Nora swirled around his thoughts. Suddenly, a cup of coffee was placed in front of him. He muttered a thanks to Mason, who had taken a seat next to him. He couldn't look at Mason without remembering that he was leaving. Nora was missing and Mason was leaving. His own mate had broken up with him. He could have cried if he had the brain capacity for more emotions. Instead, he tried to focus his mind on his determination to find Nora. He didn't make a move towards the coffee. His eyes were glued to the floor.

"It's the way you like it," Mason told him, like it mattered.

Kane nodded. Mason was leaving. Nora was missing. He didn't care for coffee when his world was falling apart. He took a deep breath, trying to get his mind together. Focus on Nora, his mind repeated to him. Nora needs you to be strong.

"We are going to get her back," Mason told him. He spoke with conviction. Too much conviction. "Whatever it takes. No matter what we need to do."

Kane knew what that meant. He lifted his eyes from the floor and quickly turned them to Mason. "Stop acting like your life means nothing." The words flew from his mouth angier than he had wanted them to be.

"It's my fault that we are in this situation to begin with," Mason explained, a careful caution to his tone.

"No," Kane argued, "you aren't at fault in any of this. They are the ones who killed your parents. They are the ones who've been hunting you. They took Nora. You feel like it's your fault so you want to offer yourself up. Don't be that selfish."

"You think it would be selfish of me to surrender to save Nora?" he asked.

"Your life matters," Kane told him. He shook his head at the floor. He couldn't believe that he really thought that little of himself. "You matter."

"If I'm gone then the pack is safe, you are safe."

"I don't want to be safe if it means I'm not with you. Don't you get that?" Kane reached over and cupped Mason's cheek. He looked into those grey eyes that he loved so much. "I love you, Mason. My life isn't worth living without you in it."

Mason stared back at him. He opened his mouth to say something, but a knock on their door interrupted the words from forming. Kane stroked his thumb over Masons cheek gently before letting go. He silently prayed that wasn't the last time he touched Mason. He walked over to the door hesitantly. He wondered for a second if the rogues had come back to take Mason themselves. He pressed his eye to the peephole, revealing that it was Eve and Owen standing behind the door.

Kane unlocked the door and pulled it open. Behind them stood a dozen men and women, none of whom he recognised.

"You made it," Kane said, outstretching his hand to Owen.