Chapter Thirty-Six

"What do you mean one of us has to die?" Kane asked. He felt the anger growing in his voice. "That is not the only way. You can use magic! Isn't magic how you messed with our bond to begin with?"

Rita shook her head quickly. "Once the bond is formed, I cannot take it back. If you came to me as a child then maybe, just maybe I could have fixed it. As adults, with the bond already formed between you two, there is nothing I can do."

"What do you expect us to do then?" Kane asked. He felt his hands balling into fists at his side as he tried to keep his anger down. He didn't believe the witch, he couldn't understand how she was this incredibly magical and powerful being and yet she couldn't undo her own spell. She had ruined his life, she had taken away his chance at real love and she wasn't even going to try to make it right.

"I expect you to have a mate ceremony and fulfil the rest of the spell." Rita looked at Mason. "Once their mate ceremony is complete, then what's left of the bond between the two of you will be broken. There's no way that a sliver of a bond like that can withstand a mate ceremony."

"Your solution is to break our real bond and keep the fake one?" Kane asked. He looked at Nora, expecting her to be just as upset as he was, but instead she was staring past them, her eyes fixed on the plants. "Nora?" he called her name, but her gaze didn't falter.

"Rita," Owen interjected, "there must be some other way."

"There is not," Rita told him. "For their sakes, I do wish that there was."

"Are you saying that what's left of our bond will be gone if they have a mate ceremony?" Mason asked. His voice was small, as if he was afraid of his own words. "Are you sure?"

Rita nodded. "Yes, then you will be free to find your mate, the one that Nora was supposed to have. Perhaps, with the bond between the two of you broken, then you won't even have a problem with your new mate."

Kane couldn't control his anger. A loud, primal growl left his lips. The second that the sound escaped his mouth he was lifted in the air, his feet dangling off the ground. His eyes widened as he saw Rita with her hands towards him and suddenly the doors to the greenhouse were open and he was flying through the air. He landed amongst the flowers, dirt pressed into his side. He heard Mason scream out his name.

"You can return when you've calmed down," Rita told him, her voice sounding like it was coming from her mouth but also from within his own head, rattling and echoing around his brain.

Kane got up quickly, just as the greenhouse doors slammed shut on their own. He huffed, anger overcoming his entire body. It took everything that he had not to transform right then and there. He pulled his phone from his pocket and pressed it to his ear as he ran out of the garden and down the driveway.

"Thank god you called-," Adam answered the phone.

Kane interrupted him. "Adam, she can't fix it."

Adam's voice changed. He didn't sound relieved anymore. "What?"

"We found the witch that cast the spell and she can't fix it." Kane reached out and punched the tree that he was running past. He felt the wood splinter into his hand as bark flew from the trunk.

"Kane, listen to me you need to stop and breathe okay?"

Kane stopped in his tracks. He fell to the floor, his legs unable to hold him up. He took deep breaths. "She said that for the bond to be fixed, that one of us has to die."

"Oh Kane," Adam whispered.

"I don't know what to do," Kane admitted. He wasn't sure when his anger had turned to sadness, but suddenly there was hot tears building in his eyes and he was blinking them away. "I told Mason that I wouldn't let anything come between us. I told him that he wasn't going to lose me."