dry your eyes and start believing | Jean Kirschtein

General information:

warning(s): SEASON 3 SPOILERS! hurt&comfort, slight anxious and depressive themes.

reader info: the reader will go by he/him/his pronouns.

word count: 440

other info: this work is not following the manga nor the anime to a tee, but it exists in the same universe. please note that this is also posted on my quotev and deviantart. this is not beta read, so please excuse me if you see any mistakes.

-

With every cough, every choked sob and every heave the hunched male emitted, you felt his muscles ripple and him shivering as you stroked and patted him reassuringly on his back. Jean wasn't the first to turn his insides out that day and he certainly wouldn't be the last.

When the retching finally stopped and the only sound to remain was his muffled and panicked sobs, you pulled the frightened male into a warm embrace. It pained you to see both Jean and the rest of your fellow cadets in such hollow and depressed state, not only had Eren and Historia been successfully abducted, the sudden harsh reality had hit you had. From this time forth you had to battle and slaughter humans in the same way as titans, killing everyone who stood in your way without mercy.

"Shhh, Jean," You tried to soothe him softly without causing a panic attack, "you're alive. Thank god, you're alive, Jean. I'm so glad you're alive." You continued to reassure him, wrapping your arms tighter around his shivering form and brushing your fingers softly through his hair.

However, this caused Jean to erupt in a new set of loud and heartbroken sobs before he buried his head into your shoulder. "I don't deserve to be alive, [Male Name]." A warm yet wet sensation trickled down your neck and collarbone as Jean cried out in agony. "Armin killed someone to save me and now his hands are stained because of me. Captain Levi said so himself-,"

"Jean," you interrupted his self-loathing by gently cupping his wet and flushed face, forcing him to meet your eyes. "Of course, you deserve to be alive. Don't ever doubt your given life." His sniffling stopped, and you continued; "Yes, Levi's words are harsh but true. We're criminals now and if that means we have to kill others to prevent our friends from being killed and to save Eren and Historia, then so be it."

Jean averted his eyes in shame. "But,"

"No 'buts'." You interrupted again, sterner than before. "We have to survive this, Jean, and we're going to survive this. Marco wouldn't have wanted to see us in this situation, hating ourselves and wishing for the sweet death, would he?"

This seemed to get Jean thinking as he bit his lip unsure, yet you caught a glimpse of determination in his eyes. His tears stopped, and he finally seemed to have made up mind. "Thank you, [Male Name]." He pulled both himself and you up from the ground and hugged you tightly against his tall and warm frame. "We're going to survive this, for our own sake."