Chapter Seventy-Two

Chapter Seventy-Two

I-10 West

Coral awoke one heartbeat at a time. Rain smacked against metal like a steel drum. Eyes closed, she experimented with movement, but her entire body was frozen. She was paralyzed.

It all came back. Someone had kidnapped her, just like Karen. A stifling, gaseous smell washed over her. Gasoline seemed to be in her pores. It took enormous will to open her eyes, and even then, they wouldn’t open all the way. She blinked the dashboard clock into focus and read the time: 4:05 p.m.

The seatbelt alarm dinged. The driver must have exited and left the car running. Shouting from outside the car confirmed her theory. The gas smell was getting worse. Sweat trickled down Coral’s cheeks and neck, pooling inside her blouse.

Maybe I’m at a gas station.

Her captor probably needed a bathroom break. Kidnapping was thirsty work and taking a mother and daughter had to be twice the trouble. Coral dreamed of a reunion with Karen. She felt some hope in the thought. But the hope evaporated when a burning smell joined the gas.

We’ve had an accident! 

Coral envisioned a multi-car pileup on the rain slick highway. Out of the corner of her eye she caught a flame igniting. Any minute there would be an explosion, and after that, none of this would matter anymore. She almost welcomed the thought.

More yelling. Probably paramedics, firemen, and police trying to save some lives but scared to get too close because of the gas leak. Something was definitely burning now. It would all be over soon.

She heard a loud popping noise that came in bursts, like gunfire.

Who’s shooting? 

Coral attempted to move again. Her fingers quivered slightly but nothing more.

The popping abruptly ceased but there was still plenty of gas, fire, and smoke. Coral coughed violently, her throat and sinuses burning.

Someone ripped the passenger door open. Because she was facing her left side, she couldn’t see him or her. She felt a wave of relief. She was going to live! Coral hadn’t realized how much she wanted to live until the strong arms wrapped around her waist pulled her from the car.

A man’s gasping breath was hot against her neck. His face was hidden to her peripheral vision, but his strength told her everything she needed to know. He was good. He was a hero. And he was too late.

The explosion crept up on them like a bully behind the new kid on a swing set. A mighty push of air sent them skyward. The hero’s grip tightened but he wasn’t strong enough.

Coral floated in the dark, landing on her back in rough gravel and glass that tore at her skin and clothes. The rain tried to drown her from above. Coral couldn’t move her head to avoid the murderous droplets attacking her.

Something shifted in the gravel next to her. A hand grabbed her arm. The face attached to the hand swum out of the darkness and Coral gazed upon her savior. The shock of seeing Lincoln Baker’s distinct features inches from her own was too much. A mournful sound emanated from the darkness. As she stared at her son’s killer, Coral realized the sound was coming from her.