Chapter Eighty

Chapter Eighty

I-10 West

Coral opened her eyes in time to catch a green sign announcing the arrival of Iowa, LA in one-fourth miles. Lying horizontal in the backseat, she stared at the bald head of her driver. There was a whistling sound outside of the car she recognized as wind, though she’d never heard any wind sound like this before.

Adjusting her body into a more comfortable position, she noticed Lincoln Baker’s eyes watching her through the rearview mirror. She’d seen him staring at her the same way in more nightmares than she could count, although this was the closest she’d physically been to her son’s killer. Now, with only inches separating them, Coral didn’t feel how she thought she would. For one, there was no hate. Strangely, she felt…gratitude. Besides, hadn’t Snake Roberts confessed to the crime? The car was pushed violently across lanes and Coral realized they had much bigger things to worry about than hate and forgiveness.

* * * * *

Almost home.

Lincoln exhaled as they passed the Iowa exit. He couldn’t stop thinking about Brandon. If he was stuck in the police station during the hurricane… Lincoln shut down this train of thought. He tried the radio again, but no news. All of Southwest Louisiana was deserted.

Coral’s up.

Lincoln caught her movements in the rearview. Their eyes met. Then without warning, the wind whipped under the Jeep and lifted it off the highway for an eternal second.

Shit! 

This storm was no joke. If they didn’t find shelter soon, the Jeep was going to take flight.

“Where are you taking me?” Coral croaked suddenly.

“Home.” 

Coral nodded.

He wondered if she felt it too, the magnetic force that seemed to be pulling them back to Lake City. He was definitely on a mission—after he dropped Coral off he needed to locate Brandon and get him to higher ground. Thankfully, Moses’ house was in one of the only sections of town high enough above sea level to withstand the inevitable flooding.

As Moses was fond of saying, “If we’re flooded over here, the rest of Lake City is underwater.”

Thinking of Moses, Lincoln had an attack of conscience. For the first time in his life, he felt the urge to confess and make amends. Lincoln knew this woman would never understand why he’d done what he’d done, but he felt compelled to try. He didn’t know if he’d have another chance.