Chapter 63: Unexpected

Salamence and I landed by the Pokemon Center. His landing was smoother than it had been the night before and I decided not to give him any criticism on it- my best possible compliment.  

"Are you hungry?" I asked as I slid off his back.  

His eyes turned to stare at me and I heard his stomach rumble.  

"Flying burns a lot of energy. I'm not at all surprised," I stated. "I'll go get a new supply of Pokemon food and be back shortly." 

I wasn't sure where Dawn was, but I'd noticed that the Poke Mart was only a few stores away from the Pokemon Center when we'd descended. In half an hour, I had walked to the store, let Torterra out of his Poke Ball to help carry supplies, and gotten enough food for two full teams of Pokemon to eat for at least a week. Torterra had bags stacked on his back during our slow walk through Mauville.  

We approached the Pokemon Center, finding Salamence standing amidst a circle of admiring humans. 

"Wow, dad! A Salamence! Doesn't he look strong?" 

"Look at how red his wings are!" 

"I haven't seen such a Salamence in years. This one looks so well trained." 

Torterra and I stopped short as we watched Salamence crane his neck up mightily, grinning so people would comment on how sharp his teeth were. 

That did it. 

"Salamence," I said smoothly, just loud enough to turn peoples' heads.  

Salamence's grin diminished into a frown. The people parted so I could walk towards my Pokemon. I was glad they could at least tell I was his Trainer without me needing to explain. 

I walked until I was right in front of him and said through clenched lips, "If you dare make a fool out of yourself right now, you will be training for the next millennium to control your confidence." 

His snort was barely audible. 

"Funny, I thought you descended from the sky. I can't imagine why your head is still up in the clouds."

"Um, excuse me, sir?" 

I turned towards the little squeaky voice, noticing a boy that appeared to be about six years old approach me. His hands kept balling into fists nervously. 

"Yes?" 

"So you're Salamence's Trainer, right?" 

I grabbed Salamence's Poke Ball, held it up in clear view, and continued to stare at the child. I didn't want to explain myself when it was so obvious. 

"W-well, I just wanted to say he's really nice. He let me sit on his back." The little boy's warm, brown eyes met mine after a moment of hesitation. "Usually Pokemon aren't that nice to me. When I walked by him, he looked really scary, but then we ended up becoming friends!" 

I stared, having no idea what to say to this child. It didn't seem to matter, Salamence snaked his head towards the boy, who hugged the Dragon's muzzle. Salamence let out a satisfied growling hum and the boy laughed. 

Unsure what to think, I continued watching the two bond. Part of me felt a bit disgusted at the obvious affection they somehow had formed in about what I assumed was ten minutes worth of time. I was somewhat embarrassed as well that my fierce Salamence was being as cuddly as a Lillipup. That wouldn't do near the battle field where our opponents were supposed to fear us. And yet there was also a part of me that was curious, reminding me of how it used to be like when I was very little, before I knew that Pokemon were used for battles. Back when they were just friends.