6-The lab partner (p.2)

SASHA'S POV (Didn't see that one comin', eh?)

The boy I was sent to retrieve was staring at me in shock. I had read his case file several times, and I knew everything about him back to front. What I didn't understand is why my bosses wanted a seventeen year old kid to lure out the mole. 

I didn't understand what was so special about him, at the time. He seemed like another one of those pretty boys who would try and flirt with me to pick up the shy girl. Our teacher, who was a senior agent, paired us together, smirking the entire time. He sat down next to me, and I kept up my persona. 

"Hey, I'm Ben." He was still focused on his books. "You must be Sash..." Ben's eyes widened to comedic proportions. I have to admit, he was... kinda... hot, I guess? I don't know, don't blame me. I waved my hand in front of his face. 

"Earth to Ben? Everything okay in there?" He snapped out of it, awkwardly biting his lip and looking down at his books. Concerned, I leaned in as the teacher started lecturing us about the rules, and passing out getting to know you papers.

"Yeah, I'm good." He stated slowly, as if unsure whether or not he was actually okay. Ben ran his hand through his brown hair. I frowned. I honestly didn't know this guy, but he had an aura that made me want to help him. 

"I'm listening when you want to explain." He bit his lip again, his thumbs worrying against one another. I guess, those are habits? He exhaled slowly, and looked around. Every other student in the room was paying attention to their partner. Ben turned to me, slowly exhaling and began his story.

"This is gonna sound... Well, I don't know how it's gonna sound. Crazy is definitely up for grabs, stupid too. I was in a coma for five years, up until this summer." I pretended to sound shocked, but in reality, I had read it all in his case file. 

"Anyway, I had a dream... When I was in the coma." I nodded at him to continue. Truthfully, I was curious. "I haven't told anyone that I had a dream yet, much less what it's about. Promise not to tell anyone?" He winced and looked at me. I cocked an eyebrow, gesturing to my book. 

"Who am I gonna tell? I don't talk to anyone!" He cracked a smile, I prompted him to continue the story. When the bell rang, I had learned all about Ben's... dream. How he had gained friends, lost others, gained respected and how there was a girl who had looked like me. It had seemed eerily similar to what was happening now. I rushed to my locker after the bell, pulling my transmitter out of my locker and shoving it into my ear. 

"Agent Joshua Hallal, I have information on the target."