24- The note and the bug

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. *dodges brick* To make up for me updating late, I'm gonna make this chapter as long as I can. This chapter is in third person POV.

Erica laughed, and Ben felt like he was flying. Dinner had finished late, and He was walking her back to her apartment. She looked stunning when she laughed, and whenever they were close, she breathed in his intoxicating smell of gunpowder. 

"Down, girl." Erica murmured this to herself, and she grabbed Ben's hand. They ran all the way back to her apartment. Once they got to the door, however, that's when the adrenaline wore off. 

"Thanks for tonight." She smiled and kissed his cheek. In an effort to limit any awkward contact, she wanted to get inside as quick as possible. 

"Meet you tomorrow." He called into the door. Erica smiled and shut it. Ben sighed and rubbed his forehead. 

"That girl drives me nuts," He muttered to himself, beginning his walk back to his dormitory. He rubbed the back of his neck, the hairs standing up with static. The hallway he was walking down was quiet and dark, and there was the sinking feeling in his gut that someone was watching him. He turned around and a door slammed quickly. He couldn't pinpoint the noise, but the feeling didn't go away. 

Putting his hand on his holster like a cowboy from a cliché movie, he peered around the corridor, inspecting it for threats. There was a little heat on the back of his neck, just a dot. He ignored it, more focused on the immediate situation at hand. There was a soft click from behind him, and he aimed his gun, jumping around like a lunatic. The pain on his neck grew, along with the heat.

Ben exhaled slowly and steeled his nerves. Hopping around like a frog wasn't going to do anything. He kept his gun out but left the building. He was lucky that it was so close to the academy, just 5 minutes walking. 

Ben didn't dare run, just in case. Someone might have been watching. It would attract more attention. He crept down the lonely road, the only one he had ever known. He didn't know where his life would lead then, but it was home to him and he walked alone. (MY SHADOW'S THE ONLY ONE THAT WALKS BESIDE ME: GUESS THE SONG!)

"Ben," A voice seemed to whisper out of the darkness, and he paused, the flashlight of his gun blazing through the night. But there was no one there. An owl flew above, keening. Panting, he made it to the gates of the school and felt his neck. His cervix was burning, and the spy was desperate to get away from the pain. 

Ben was sweating, and he collapsed on his knees. The world seemed to fade before his eyes, but he felt victorious. There was a small tech piece that was causing the heat on the back of his neck. He picked it off of his skin in his delusion and put it in front of his face. He swore. It was a black wiretapping device. They had found him, and he had fallen for it. 

Stars were exploding in his head, and Ben screamed. Suddenly, he felt a pressure behind him, and the spy wildly swung, blind. He didn't catch anyone, but he felt a needle enter his neck. A liquid was administered, and a voice whispered in his ear. 

"Don't worry, Ben. You're just going to take a little nap." 

The voice seemed caring, but there was a dark undertone. Ben's eyes widened. He recognised that tone. It was the timbre of the last person he had expected to be the mole. The one person in his dream that had stuck by him the entire time. His best friend. 

He had been chasing the wrong person the entire time, and he needed to let Mike now. If he had been able to see, he would have caught a glimpse of familiar hair melting into midnight