Chapter 20

"What did I tell you last night?"

My heart started racing nervously as soon as I stepped into the room behind Dakota. I cursed us both inside my head for going down the stairs that led into the kitchen. When I turned I saw Mr. Spicer sitting at the breakfast table with a newspaper in his hands, a coffee mug in front of him, and one of his legs crossed over his knee.

He looked just like the intimidating dads you would see in a movie, and he sure as hell was intimidating to me.

Dakota rolled his eyes as he walked across the room. His dad hadn't even looked up from his paper yet. Dakota beckoned me towards him with his hand as he went behind the large island and over to the refrigerator. I eyed his dad warily but then followed after him.

"Dad, I know," Dakota said, opening the door to the refrigerator. "But it was late and we just crashed. Besides we're up extra early so Harley can go home and get his school stuff and we won't be late." He pulled a cup of yoghurt off a shelf and turned to me, raising a brow. "You like strawberry banana?"

I nodded and took the offered object from his hand. Dakota pointed to a drawer where I was guessing the spoons were. I pulled it open just as I heard the newspaper ruffling loudly and I could hear Mr. Spicer's irritation in the action without having to look at him. I heard the chair scrape on the floor and I carefully glanced up to see him turned in his seat to look at his son.

Mr. Spicer was glaring slightly at Dakota. "That's not the point. I told you he couldn't stay, and you let him stay anyway. I should ground you for this, you know."

Dakota's face turned into one of mortification as he looked from me to his dad. "You're joking!" Mr. Spicer didn't flinch. I turned my attention to getting the cover off of my yoghurt. "Dad, come on, it's not that big of a deal. We didn't burn the house down or anything, just like you asked."

I choked on my laughter, earning a smile from Dakota and a deadly glare from his dad. I froze and looked down awkwardly. His dad scared the shit out of me.

"We just ate pizza and watched a movie. Hardly a crime!" Dakota finished.

I popped my spoon into my container and Mr. Spicer narrowed his eyes at me when I made the mistake of looking back up at him. I almost choked on my yoghurt.

"No more having friends over."

Dakota glanced between his dad and me and then his eyes widened. I was expecting him to get nervous about his dad figuring out about us, but instead he just seemed to get even angrier.

"This is stupid!" he protested. He threw his hands in the air. "For how long? The guys are supposed to come over tomorrow!"

"Indefinitely." Mr. Spicer turned back around and picked his paper up. "This isn't up for debate."

Dakota took a step in the direction of his dad. For some reason I got the urge to stop him, so I grabbed his arm. He looked at me like I was crazy. I didn't know why I had grabbed him in the first place so I pursed my lips and let go of him. He huffed and angrily threw his unopened yoghurt back into the fridge before slamming the door closed.

"Let's just go, Harley," he grumbled.

He turned to walk out of the kitchen and there was no way I was staying behind so I hurried after him, yoghurt and spoon still in my hands.

"I don't know what the hell his deal is," Dakota fumed, throwing his backpack into my car.

I raised an eyebrow at him after I opened my door. "Are you riding with me?"

Dakota looked down at his bag on the seat and his cheeks flushed when he realized what he was doing. "I don't know. Am I?"

I cracked a small grin, taking another bite of my breakfast. "Sure, get in."