Chapter One: Dinner

Elvira

I shivered as I clutched my knees to my chest. The walls surrounding me were stone, leaving me freezing and offering no hope of warmth. It was at times like these that I forgot what it was like to be warm. I tried to picture what it felt like in my head, but I couldn't come up with anything. It didn't seem to matter where I was any more I was always cold.

I'm used to it, the chills in my body, the damp cell I was kept in. Still, I couldn't contain the shivers that fought their way out of my body. The last time my skin had tasted warmth was part of a lesson that I had been taught the hard way. It always seemed that I was taught the hard way, always messing up and needing a reminder of how things should work.

I run my fingers over the tears that cover my shirt, I was lucky that it has not entirely fallen apart yet, though it probably wouldn't last that much longer. Especially knowing what a foul mood, Master was going to be in when he came down. I was definitely going to be forced to attend a lesson later, of that much I was certain. I tried to contain my fear, but it was no use, I knew what was coming and there was no stopping it, I deserved it after all.

Attempting to relax I started counting the objects in my cell to calm my wildly beating heart. My toilet bucket Master had granted me a few days ago, the lightbulb that was the only source of light in the room, the chains for when I was a bad girl and needed a reminder of my place, and my bed. I wanted so badly to go and curl up inside my bed, but I knew better than to try that now. The cardboard edges of the bed were already fraying and I didn't want them to completely fall apart if I were to be dragged up to a lesson soon. My heart still raced, as I continued counting the few objects over and over again, desperate to try to calm down.

I heard the familiar sound of heavy boots on stone, it was time for me to face what I'd done today. It was a mistake, one that I knew better than to make, but there was nothing I could do about it now to change it. I just hoped that Master was in a good mood today, it would make my lesson easier. The feet got closer and I realized there was more than one set of footsteps approaching my room.

As the locks on the door began to turn I forced myself onto my knees, wrists together and displayed in front of me with my head down. I didn't want to be getting a second lesson to remind me of the proper way to greet those who are in authority. I heard the final locks turned and took one final deep breath to try to appear composed. The door swung open and two pairs of boots came into my vision.

"He wants you in the kitchen, he is having two guests over for dinner in an hour. Afterward, you will be providing entertainment for everyone." The man informed me.

Without looking up at him I nodded my head in understanding. I kept my eyes glued to the ground as I heard the men overhead shuffling around. I didn't dare look to see what they were doing and wasn't able to see the steel-tipped boot flying right for my ribs. I gasped and fell over clutching my now aching ribs and trying to get my lungs to once again accept air.

"I expect you to answer me when I ask you a question slave. You are nothing and you deserve nothing! You will treat me with the respect I deserve, do I make myself clear?" The man growled down at me. I whimpered then remembered exactly why it was that I was hit in the first place.

"I'm sorry Sir," I whispered and he stalked away. I slowly got to my feet still careful to avoid looking at either of the men. He was right, I wasn't treating him correctly. He was more important than me, I was worth nothing, worse than trash. I had no purpose or value I had been taught as much.

The men stalked from the room and I followed several feet behind them. I kept my eyes glued to the floor ensuring that I was giving them their proper respect. I passed by my cell door and couldn't help but notice that they had added a new lock to the three that were already set into the thick metal.