Getting Ready For A Bloody Long Night: Lily's POV

Chapter One... Getting Ready For One Bloody Long Night

Lily's POV

Wake up... Breakfast... School... Cheerleading practice... Work.

All night.

As I was still stuck in the four walls of my fancy private school, I had willingly agreed to pull the 9pm-6am shift at work in order to have all the fresh produce stocked up ready for the sea of customers that would come flooding through the shop the minute the doors opened at 7am. I was a fresh produce worker in the only supermarket in a small town right near the town I lived in. I loved it, and would continue to work here even after I finished school...

College didn't interest me.

I was also a cheerleader. Fit as I was, I hated it for the most part. But I loved being the centre of attention, and being a cheerleader let me do that. I was loud, outspoken and a talkaholic. Who wouldn't like me?

Well, a lot of people actually. I HATED high school. I couldn't wait to leave.

I made it through the horrible day of school on this 23rd December. I went to cheerleading practice and watched as some conniving little bitch got a spot on the squad... then, it was time to head to work.

I donned my blue buttoned shirt and black pants, along with a black cap and a black apron. The cap and shirt both had our company logo on them. My name badge was pinned to the front of the black apron. It was white, and read 'Lily'. I loved it... except for when customers took the liberty of using your name when they addressed you. They acted as if they had known you for years...

How condescending.

There were eight other workers here tonight. I was evidently the youngest; I was the only high school student. I would be making my way to school in the morning without any sleep. But I hardly slept anyway. Sleep seemed so pointless to me... you missed out on so much. That, and I seemed to have a lot of nightmares.

As the nine of us turned up for work, the other staff members peeled off quickly to head home. I took a deep breath; this would be a new challenge for me. But, as it turned out, I liked a challenge every now and then. Brian, the night manager, gave my overwhelmed, nervous expression an excited smile.

"Don't worry, Lily," he smiled. "I've been doing this shift for twenty years. It's better than the daytime. No customers... no fuss."

"Er, right," I sighed. "No need to work, because who's gonna notice if you slack off?"

"Umm... something like that," Brian replied candidly.

"I'm trying to make an impression here," I smiled weakly.

"You already have," Nathan laughed, walking past. Nathan was the Dairy worker. I always knew he liked me, but wasn't sure if he would be worth it. He was an artist... that was pretty sweet.

I walked out onto the back dock and into the fresh produce preparation room. There were mountains of stock ready to be sorted, filled and stored. I almost fell over as I realised what I was in for.

It was going to be a bloody long night.