34┃Jacob

"One the first day of Christmas, my colleague gave to me... a beef chop suey in a Chinese take out box." Chris sang as he handed on a box to Jacob.

      "On the second day of Christmas, my counsellor gave to me... chicken fried rice and a beef chop suey in a Chinese take out box." He continued handing a box to Chase, who looked like he had just been slapped across the face by a hundred-year-old woman. He sat blinking, probably wondering why nobody seemed to be asking him to shut up. Well, that was usually Alexa's job but she wasn't at home yet.

      "On the third day of Christmas, my somewhat colleague gave to me..." Chris sang at a higher pitch while facing a bewildered Jackson.

      "Three slaps, two gunshots and a partridge in a pear tree," Alexa said walking in. "Just give me my twelve dumplings and get on with life, Chris."

A murmur of "thank God" and "finally" was heard across the room as they reached for their food from the covers. Chris threw his hands in the air. "Fine. Kill the only joy in the room."

Alexa sat down beside him on their dining table. In the time that they had lived there, that was the first time they had used the dining table. Chris didn't even know it existed. Seated across the table were Chase, Stephen, Jackson, Ryder, him, Alexa, Chris and an empty spot for Marion.

      "Is she coming?" Alexa asked Ryder as she picked out a dumpling with her chopsticks. The girl's never had a pancake in her life but knows how to use chopsticks. Jacob struggled to try to pick up his noodles with the sticks and finally gave up. Alexa slid a fork towards him without looking in his direction.

      "No idea," Ryder replied. "She told me about...the incident and then they," she nodded her head towards the guys. "Told me that you were leaving."

      "That's the plan." She said pushing an entire dumpling in her mouth. Jacob wouldn't have been surprised if Alexa learnt a trick or two from Chris. Cause the talent of inhaling food, was definitely a check for both.

Ryder nodded, her eyes averted. Clearly, there was a lot to talk about. When "Marion" had been hospitalised, the two sisters were almost always together.

      "Talking about plans. What's the plan for this one?" Stephen asked, pointing his chopstick at Chase.

      "Why is he even here?" Chase asked, pointing his chopstick at Stephen.

      "Listen guys, and I say this in the sweetest way possible, keep the testosterone away from this table or I will personally break all of your...chopsticks," Alexa said slowly.

Chase and Stephen immediately dropped they sticks and went back to eating. Alexa picked up her box and stood in front of the wall beside the table. She picked up the picture that was hanging and placed it down. Grabbing a marker, she began to scribble on the wall.

      "Alexa, that's permanent," Chris whined.

      "I know Chris. Don't worry. Jonathan James will burn down the house soon enough." Alexa muttered.

      "What?" Jacob asked, looking around the table to see confused faces as well.

Alexa turned around and leaned on the wall, facing the table. "Turns out, my mom's been sleeping with James."

      "Ha!" Jackson exclaimed as he nudged Chase. "Guess that takes you out of the race. Kind of."

Alexa raised an eyebrow. "Not that there is any race. What would the race even be for?" Jackson quickly shrugged.