VII - flirting

"So," Jinyoung begins, cutting through the brownie with the fork, not meeting Jaebeom's eyes because his heart is hammering after such realization, and he needs time to pull himself together "You told your friends about me already."

The younger lifts his eyes to see Jaebeom's reaction, and he does not miss how the older blushes and seems to get very nervous, but it's a different kind. So far Jinyoung has accomplished to startle the other young man and make him hyper aware, but now Jaebeom looks anxious, cornered instead of just embarrassed.

"I have... but Jackson... he's too dramatic and... he's a childhood friend and he's always wanted me to... find someone... and..." Jinyoung furrows his brow as he watches Jaebeom become increasingly more nervous, mumbling and fidgeting in his seat, avoiding eye contact.

"It's okay, if it makes you so uncomfortable you don't have to explain," Jinyoung cuts Jaebeom in. As much as he's enjoyed teasing him till now, he does not like seeing the other having a hard time. "As long as you told them nice things about me," he adds, with a smile to lighten the mood.

"It's just that... it's hard to explain." Jaebeom looks troubled, and the younger really doesn't enjoy that look. "I told them I met a handsome guy and I got so lucky because he agreed to go out with me." It is a bit forced, but the smile comes to the older's lips as he leans a bit closer.

"I wouldn't say exactly 'go out,' I just accepted because you offered coffee," Jinyoung answers, looking away and hoping he's not blushing.

Jaebeom's chuckles don't make it easier.

"I know, I know, I'm trying to seduce you with caffeine."

And it's working, Jinyoung thinks, embarrassed to realize how easily he's falling for the older.

"But the moment I told Jackson I had met someone, he was planning my wedding. That's what I mean he's a bit too dramatic. Plus, he'll be all over you because he can't believe someone caught my eye and he probably thinks of you like an unearthly creature." Jaebeom continues, and although embarrassing, Jinyoung's interests pikes at the last part.

"I thought you were the type to easily fall in love and have relationships," he points out, given how easily Jaebeom manifested his interest. It didn't occur to him it could be the other way around.

"Oh no, not at all," the older explains, shaking his head. "I've dated a couple of times, but not for too long."

"It's hard to believe when you are so forward with me, joking about love at first sight and everything."

"What can I say, you're different," Jaebeom grins but Jinyoung keeps a straight face, an almost dead expression.

"I'm this close to walk out of this café without even seeing the cats. You're too cheesy."

"But it's true!" Jaebeom laughs, for which is hard to take him seriously. "Or at least you make me feel differently. I can tell for sure I've never felt like this before."

"Gross." Jinyoung keeps the straight face, trying hard not to believe any of Jaebeom's words.

"It's your fault, you're just too pretty," the older insists, leaning forward, cupping his face in his hands and watching Jinyoung with such a sappy smile.

"Gross," he repeats, feeling his cheeks burning but deciding to end the topic by just shoving the piece of brownie he had cut inside Jaebeom's mouth, surprising him and successfully distracting him.

Jaebeom laughs and thankfully decides to drop the topic, focusing on his humongous honey bread instead. They stay in silence for a bit, just focusing on the food. Jinyoung asks if Jaebeom has come to this particular cat café before, to which he replies only once and that he liked it because the cats are in a separate room for comfort of the clients and to not risk the cats to consume any of the human food. The conversation stays around that until they finish what they ordered, so they can actually go and play with the cats. Jinyoung smiles when he sees how Jaebeom's eyes sparkle with excitement, and honestly that's more interesting for him than the felines. He can't help his own chuckles when he can hear that little squeal that escapes the older when they walk inside the room where the cats are.