34 Objection

The next week Bridget shows up at my flat a few times to tell me what’s going to happen and what I should expect from the prosecution. She tells me what I should and shouldn’t wear; which apparently is a huge deal. She also tells me that even though it’s a high-profile case, they can’t get a gag order. Unfortunately the press has a right to report on anything that isn’t life threatening. Just like OJ’s case, it will be in open court. Although, now they can’t actually bring cameras into the courtroom.

I end up having to attend the pre-trial conferences. They’re held in chambers and at secret times and the only time I’m allowed out of my home. The only thing that really happens is they go over the evidence they have for and against me. They list off the witnesses they have planned. I’m surprised by some of them, but there isn’t much I can do about any of it. I’m just along for the ride at this point. Most of the time, I let the meeting drown on and just block out whatever they’re on about.

The only good that comes out of this is that for the first week that I’m at home, I get to sleep next to my husband. But then, he leaves. He was supposed to leave two days after I got home from shoot ‘Half the Battle’, but he talked to the producer and they gave him a few more days.

Once he’s gone, I’m pretty much all by myself in our flat. Johnny hires someone to stop by every day to bring food or take my laundry. She’s pretty much just an assistant, though I’ve never really wanted one. But at this point, it’s a little necessary since I’m confined to this stupid place.

Since I’m high-profile, a jury is meticulously hand selected, all the processes are followed to a T, and they take their time to get everything perfect. They think the media is going to be all over this case and they want to make sure that they can’t be accused of doing anything wrong.

It’s two months from the time I had shown up at arraignment and we’re finally going to court. And despite everything that’s happening all I can think is ‘I wish Topher was here’. Of course I talk to him every time I can, but they are so many factors against us. There’s a six hour time difference. He works long days and doesn’t get much sleep to begin with. But since I’m cooped up in this flat with nothing to do but wallow in my own self-pity, I wait to hear from him. It doesn’t matter what time it is, I always answer his calls.

And just like any other time, as I put on my much anticipated suit, I wait for him. He told me he would try to call before I had to leave, but I know that he’s busy and told him not to worry about it. I don’t want to burden him more than I already have.

Ends up that I don’t hear from him. It gets down to time and I have to leave. In departure, I don’t bring my mobile with me. I don’t have a need for it and it would have to be powered off anyway.

Bridget tells me to prepare myself as we get into the car, although for what I’m not sure. I soon find out as we pull up to the courthouse.

There are swarms of people on the steps and sidewalk leading to the building. Some are paparazzi, some are fans, and some are picketers. Everyone is shouting whether it’s good or bad, I can’t tell. Either way, there are barriers placed so that there’s a path from me to walk up.

When someone opens my door this time, it’s a police officer and not an usher to the red carpet. I am escorted, however. There are two officers in front of me and two behind. People still reach out to grab my arms or touch me in general. It’s a bit strange, if I’m honest. But I try to keep my head down and out of the limelight. Bridget says that’s the best way to go about it.

“You don’t want the court to think you’re using this as a publicity stunt,” she had said one night. “The prosecution would eat that up. Just keep your head down and walk.”