XV

My eyes were drifting closed and I was tempted to let them. It was our first class back at uni after mid-sem and I could not be more disinterested. It was the class to share everyone's presentations, and despite Shazza's request that they be interesting... they really were anything but.

"Falling asleep there, Forthy?" I heard a voice whisper in my ear, and its cadence made the goosebumps rise along my arms despite the warmth of the classroom.

I blinked sleeping up at Cam, who was trying his hardest not to smile at my failed attempts to stay awake. I didn't even reply, just glanced at him before propping my head back on my arms that were folded across my desk.

"Maybe you need a repeat of Friday night," he whispered conspiratorially. "You seemed pretty well-rested in the morning."

I registered the person in front of us turning back briefly with the most hilarious look on their face, it was almost enough to wake me up fully.

Friday night. The night we'd gotten back from our little vacation away from home. The night I'd fallen asleep in Cam's arms and woken up in exactly the same position.

Cam was looking at me as though he was waiting for a response, but any chance I had was cut off my Shazza thanking the final student for their presentation and giving her concluding speech about how we'd been such a great class, yadda yadda.

Saved by the teacher, I thought.

I had no idea what I would have replied to Cam if the silence had continued. It had been almost a week since that night on the couch, and he hadn't brought it up once. If anything, he'd seemed to be distancing himself from me. Whenever we were both in the apartment at the same time, we never really spoke to each other - despite my multiple attempts to initiate a conversation. And... as desperate as it makes me sound, we haven't had any other moments since that night either.

I wasn't sure where we stood with anything, but he hasn't made any more moves to indicate his stance either, so I have no idea what those couple of kisses meant. Whether they were just some fun while we were away and now we're back to reality so fun time's over? Or if he thought he wanted me and now he's had a taste and decided he doesn't.

But then to bring up Friday night while sitting in class and he didn't even mention it when we woke up together the next morning?

Oh, my brain is going into meltdown mode. I need a coffee.

As soon as we were allowed to leave the class, I grabbed my unpacked bag, slung it over my shoulder and was out the door before Cam had pushed his chair in.

"Blake, hey!" I heard him calling me from behind, and with how loud he was saying my name, he knew that I'd heard him too, so I couldn't exactly walk away. When he caught up to me he asked, "Where are you off to in such a hurry?"

Somewhere I can sort out all of the thoughts tumbling around in my head, I wanted to say. But instead, I went with, "I was just going to get a coffee to keep me awake."

"I'll come with you," he said, walking off ahead of me towards Building M.

I groaned inwardly. Hard to sort out your thoughts when the person you're thinking about is right next to you.

*

"Why does this boy have to be so confusing?" I asked, sprawled on my back on my bed while Mia pranced around my room, eagerly sorting through the clothes in my closet.

"Cause he's a guy, honey. But..."

I wondered at her sentence trailing off but all I got when I looked up was something hitting me square in the face.