~31~

The next morning, I wake up before Mat has to go to practice and he's on the phone in the kitchen. I stand from the bed and adjust Mat's large tshirt I was wearing and head out to find him. Once he spots me in the kitchen, he winks and kisses my cheek, not leaving his phone call. I go to sit at the counter and with one hand, he pours a cup of coffee and pours some peppermint creamer and sugar in it. He turns with the mug in one hand and his phone in his hand in the other. He hands me the cup he just made while talking. "So, they didn't say anything?" "Ok, thanks Coach. I'll see you at practice. Bye." He hangs up.

"Good morning, beautiful." He says, leaning across the counter and pressing a kiss to my lips. "Morning babe." I say. "What did Trotz say?" I add, sipping my perfectly made coffee.

"He said the NHL hasn't called about a suspension or anything so it looks like I'm in the clear."

"That's great babe!"

"Yep!" He says, getting ready to leave. "What are your plans for the day gorgeous?" He asks. "I don't know, I may go find something for your Christmas present." I smirk. "I told you, don't get me anything." He says. "I want to, it's our first Christmas together; I want it to be special." I say, sipping more coffee. "Just waking up on Christmas morning with you in bed next to me is special enough, babe." He states. "I appreciate the sentiment, but you'll love what I'm getting you." I say, sipping more coffee. "Ok, ok. I'll see you later ok? Maybe we can get lunch or something." He says, kissing my cheek before grabbing his stuff and heading out the door.

As soon as the door is shut and I hear him lock it from the outside, I scurry over to my laptop and open Facebook messenger. I quickly search for Mat's dad and compose a quick, polite message.

"Hi Mr. Barzal! My name is Lexi Callahan and I recently have gotten into a relationship with your son. He's an amazing man and I love him very much. That's why this Christmas, I'd love to do something for him that's just as amazing as he is. I know it's probably a little strange to hear from someone you don't know; but Mat expressed that he wanted to see his family for Christmas but didn't think he'd have the time to get there and back between games. I also wanted to meet his family as well so I was thinking maybe my gift to him could be to fly his family out to surprise him for Christmas. I was also going to ask my family to join us and they can meet Mat and I could also meet you, your wife and daughter. Maybe we can have a little Christmas surprise party. I look forward to hearing from you! Lexi"

And with that, I hit send and get to work cleaning Mat's apartment for when he returns. I do the couple dishes in the sink and fold the blanket that was thrown across the couch. I go make the bed in his room where we slept and while I'm there, I change and get ready for the lunch Mat had proposed.

As I'm coming back out, I hear my phone buzz. I look at the screen and see it's a facebook message. I go to my computer to see that Mat's dad has answered. That was quick, not even two hours since I sent the message and I wasn't expecting to hear for at least a couple days. I wasn't hopeful from the quick response that his family would be able to come.

"Hello Lexi! I'm actually rather excited to hear from you, Mat's talked so much about you and sent us pictures of you we were just waiting for him to have a break in his schedule to come visit. I think it's wonderful that you're trying to surprise him, that's a very sweet thought. We would love to meet the girl our son has in his life and her family as well. I will have to check with my wife and Liana to see what their plans are but if nothing else, I will be there to surprise him with you and your family. I'll let you know by the end of the day about them and we'll talk about travel plans. Talk to you soon! Mike"

I practically jump around in excitement that at least his dad is on board for this plan. I immediately start looking for plane tickets and shoot a quick text to my parents and Colton in our family groupchat.

Lexi

Hey fam! I was just wondering what your plans are for Christmas because I was wondering if you'd join a friend of mine and me for a Christmas party with our families.

Colt

I was planning on being home. Mat's family coming to town?

Lexi

COLT!

Dad

Mat as in Mat Barzal?

Lexi

Yes, we met in October and we just started dating at the end of November. I didn't want to say anything because I wanted it to be a surprise.

Mom

Honey, we'd love to meet Mat and his family!

Lexi

Thanks momma, that was the one thing he wanted for Christmas was to be with his family but his schedule doesn't allow for him to just pick up and travel. His dad said he'd come and has to check with his wife and Mat's sister.

Dad

You didn't say you were going out with Mathew Barzal, but if you're happy we're happy. Just be careful

Lexi

Yes dad, I know. He's a really good guy, though. I want to do something cool for him for Christmas.

Just then, Mat walks in the door from practice. I quickly shut my laptop and smile at him. "Hi babe!" I say, cheerily. "Hi love, why are you so jumpy?" He asks, wrapping me in a tight hug. "No reason, I'm just lucky to have you." I smile. "I'm even luckier." He says, leaning down to kiss me. As he did so, I could smell his deodorant, which I loved the smell of and loved that all of his shirts and hoodies smelled the same way. His lips were soft. "You ready for lunch?" He asks. I nod and we head out.

During lunch, I got a response from Mat's dad saying

"The girls are in. What days would you like us?"

"How about the 23rd to the 27th? He has a game on the 27th if you want to stay and watch before you leave unless you have to be home sooner."

"Nope, those days are perfect."
"Awesome! I spoke to my parents and they're in as well!"

"Very cool, I have to tell you how much I appreciate you planning this for Mat. It really says something that you care more about him as a person than a hockey player."

"I love your son very much and this is just one way to prove that to him. I can't wait to meet you all!"

Just as I'm putting my phone away, Mat takes a picture of me. I try to block my face from it but I think he got in just in time.

 I try to block my face from it but I think he got in just in time

Barzal97: my absolute favorite person #cutestuff

Tagged: lexicallahan

Liked by lexicallahan, sophiabuck, titobeauvi91 and 13,492 others

View all 1,482 comments

Lexicallahan: I love you barz!

Barzal97: @lexicallahan I love you more, even tho you're wearing my shirt

Laurenlamp: this is adorable

User38274: I love you Mat!

User8473: Mat has a girlfriend?

Titobeauvi91: bud, what about me?!

Barzal97: @titobeauvi91: she's prettier. Don't worry I still love you!