~35~

The next day, while Mat and I were lounging around his place, I got a Facebook message from his dad saying

"Lexi! We've landed! All is well. See you guys Christmas morning!"

"Perfect, glad you guys had a safe flight! Cant wait to see you!" I respond. I suddenly get butterflies in my stomach. Ill be meeting Mathews parents and sister in a day and a half. What if they dont like me? What if they assume I'm like Abby? Regardless, I cant wait to see the look on Mathews face when they get to spend at least three days with him and watch him play in person.

"Whatcha makin, baby girl?" Mat asks, startling me a little bit. He wraps his arms around my waist and leans his chin on my shoulder while Im making lunch for us.

"Tomato soup and grilled cheese. I eat like a child, so I hope you dont mind." I laugh. "Never. Actually, it sounds perfect on a day like today." He says, referring to the cold, snowy day outside. Luckily, we were spending today together with no plans other than watching Christmas movies and baking cookies and then ordering Chinese food later. We sit down and eat lunch and then plop on the couch and start Elf.

Even though both of us had seen the movie multiple times, we both chuckled at funny parts like You smell like beef and cheese, you dont smell like Santa. Listening to Mat laugh like he didnt have a care in the world and he had a sparkle in his eye. His laugh was so pure and so attractive about him.

At some point, I glance at our little Christmas tree I insisted we get and decorate, much to Mats grumbling. I notice theres a couple wrapped presents under it. "When did those get there?" I ask. "I put them there this morning." Mat says, not looking away from the movie. "I told you not to get me anything." I say. "Did you think I was going to listen to you? "He asks. "Well in that case." I say, getting up and hurrying to now, our room, and fetch the two boxes from the closet where I had successfully hidden Mats presents. I grab the necklace box and the box that held the new cologne I had gotten him and take them out and put them under the tree with the ones Mat had put there. "And I told you not to get me anything." He says when he sees what Im doing. "Did you think I was going to listen to you?" I mock. He chuckles and holds an arm out for me to cuddle with him. These moments with Mat are my favorite.

Later that night, Mat and I had started to bake cookies. We disagreed for a while on what kinds to make but after Christmas, his family was coming so I wanted there to be Christmas cookies. I dont think he thought he saw himself baking Christmas cookies in his apartment, but he enjoyed it and I could tell. He was especially proud of the Chocolate Chip cookies I had put him in charge of. I myself made peppermint chocolate cookies and oatmeal chocolate chip. At one point, Mat and I were working silently next to each other when he was mixing flour in to his bowl and he accidentally flipped some of it out and onto my arm. I shot him a fake glare and he smirked. He dipped his fingertips into the flour bag and flicked it at me, getting it all over my chin and chest. "MATHEW!" He smirks before I do the same thing with the powdered sugar I was working with except I let it fall into his dark hair. It looked like he went outside in the snow. I started laughing when he threw flour back at me, getting some in my mouth, some in my hair, and a whole lot on the dark hardwood floor. It became a flour fight and Mat chased me around the kitchen with flour covered hands and I was squealing and laughing the whole time and so was he. After a few minutes, we stopped and looked around at the mess we had created. We were both covered in flour, sugar and chocolate. After we got cleaned up a bit, we put our cookies in the oven to bake and finished cleaning up from our fight.

While the cookies finished baking, I washed dishes and Mat took a shower. When he was done, the kitchen was clean and I went to take a shower while he ordered food. It was there by the time I got done and we sat down together and watch the Polar Express. After we ate on the couch, I posted a selfie on my Instagram I had taken of Mat and I from our fight.

Lexicallahan: how do you manage to make baking an adventure?

Tagged: barzal97

Liked by coltoncally45, laurenlamp, sophiabuck and 5,593 others

View all comments

Laurenlamp: aww youguys are cute

Titobeauvi91: he can make anything a project

Sophiabuck: love you best friend!

Our cookies were done baking and it was late so Mat and I decided to head to bed. It didnt take long for him to be softly snoring next to me. Little does he know his family is less than 5 miles away.