~48~

The day of the all-star game

Today is the day of the all star game. Yesterday, Mat won in the all-star competition for fastest skater, the challenge he lost to Jack Eichel in last year. His time for one lap around the ice was 13.1 seconds. We went out to some bar last night and Natalie and I drank a little while our guys only had one beer; they had to play today.

Today, Mat had practice for the all-star game and then he had to come back to rest before it started.

His team consisted of the Metropolitan division's all stars from each team. Some of them included Claude Giroux, Sidney Crosby, Sebastian Aho and others.

He went to practice before I even woke up and he was back showering when I did wake up.

I rolled over and opened my eyes just as he came out of the bathroom, towel around him and all. He came over to our bed, leaned down and kissed me, grabbed clothes and went back in the bathroom all without saying a word.

When he came back out, he flopped on the bed next to me and turned on the tv. "What do you want to watch?" he asked. "Whatever you want to watch, all-star" I respond. He settles on the NHL network, which was providing coverage of all-star weekend but now was playing highlight reels from the week.

I ended up just scrolling through my phone killing time until Mat rolled over and wrapped his arms around my torso. He threw one leg over both of mine and fell asleep shortly after. I tried not to move much and wake him because he needed sleep. Between all-star, the 15 day road trip and casino night coming up, he was going to be very busy and it's been a lot of late nights and early mornings for him. I guess he's used to it but I still felt bad.

I woke him up shortly before he had to get ready to go to the arena before the game.

"I'll find you after, yeah?" He says in his Canadian way before pecking my lips and heading out the door. I managed to sneak a picture of him in his suit before he walked out the door.

I met up with Natalie Atkinson in the lobby and we headed to the arena together closer to game time.

Team Metro ended up winning and they got amillion dollars to spilt between them. Mat was going to bring his check home toCoach Trotz and then I think he was going to donate it to the children'shospital. 

Location: Enterprise Center

Tagged: barzal97

Lexicallahan: so so proud of my handsome all-star

Liked by barzal97, titobeauvi91, coltoncally45 and 5,696 more

View all 89 comments

Nyislanders: we're proud of you, barzy! (liked by lexicallahan and titobeauvi91)

Sophiabuck: look how grown up lol

Lexicallahan: @sophiabuck lol I know

Titobeauvi91: that hair tho

Lexicallahan: @titobeauvi91 I miss you A!
titobeauvi91: miss you too LC, ditch him and come back to LI

Coltoncally45: @barzal97 Callahan clan is proud!

After Mat came and found me, all the Metropolitan division players and their wives or girlfriends if the had one all went for drinks. It was cool to hang out with all those guys on teams I had watched Mat play against. It was also cool to meet Ryanne Giroux. The girl is gorgeous. Some of the girls took picture and included me and I caught Mat watching as I fit into his world. It was as if he thought I was made for it.

It got late and everyone split so Mat and I headed back to our room. We stayed up late talking and he told me about his childhood home in Canada. "I'll have to take you there one day. I want you to see that part of Canada." He says. "And I want to see where you grew up." I say, kissing his cheek.

"I'll have to take you there in the summer, that would be so awesome." He says, eyes sparkling. It was cool listening to him talk about his home. I could tell a little part of him missed being there though.

"Do you ever miss Canada?" I ask. "Sometimes."Is all he says to start. "It's times like Thanksgiving and Christmas I wish Iwas home or for birthdays. I'm lucky I got to go to L's graduation. But I usedto call my dad after every game and we'd critique my game together. Eventuallythat stopped. I feel bad, I wish I was closer." He spills. "Well then why don'tyou start calling him after your games again?" I ask. "Maybe I will. Thank you." He says. "For what?" "For beingyou. For being as supportive as you are to me. You always know what to say andwhen to say it. It was cool watching you mingle with all the other WAGStonight. It's cool to see you fit into my world by being part of the LadyIsles. I can't thank you enough for all you do for me." He says. "You don'thave to thank me. I do these things because I love you." I say. "Plus, youthanked me enough when you gave me this gorgeous necklace." I say, brushing myfingers against it. "You deserve something that nice. You deserve every giftlike that." Mat says. "No I don't. I just want you." I say, kissing him. "Andyou have me. You're all mine." He says, kissing back. "I'm one lucky girl." Isay. "I'm luckier. How'd I snag someone like you?" He muses. I chuckle beforeflopping on my back. He lays his head on my chest and eventually we fallasleep.