Chapter 23 - The Plan

Ornias breaks my concentration. "What is it Thomas?"

"Nothing... I don't know."

The nurse begins calling someone. I check the remaining list as Ornias speaks again, "We don't have much time to discuss this reaper. There cannot be many names left on the list. With each soul collected you take one step closer towards joining me in hell. I can protect you until you get to the point where you can protect yourself. "

"I know what you are offering demon. I have a hard time trusting you, but I guess I have no choice."

I teleport to the next assignment. Will there be another vision waiting for me here? Rocks and brown sand surround me. Some of the rocks have black marks on them that spread out from where I am standing. A horse runs from me startled at my arrival.

Ornias arrives with a huge grin. "Thomas, with you at my side we could change hell. Maybe then we can make changes within that will make it better."

"How do you plan to do that demon? What direction do you intend to take things?" I walk to the other side of a large rock formation. Blood stained sand calls me forward to my next assignment.

"We have to first subjugate the other demons and archdemons. This is no small feat Thomas. I have secured an unsteady alliance with one of the archdemons, but we will end up having to destroy him. He will undoubtedly try to take over at some point."

The blood on the ground is coming from a man who has broken his leg. The bone is poking out from his leg. I would bet that he had falled off the horse. I reply, "Deception is a shaky foundation Ornias. We've been over this."

"That is why I am being honest with you Thomas. I know Hell and it's inhabitants. You are the key to my entire plan. You have unique abilities that can turn the tide. Together we could take over."

"How do you know that I won't turn on you as well Ornias. I will be a demon at that point won't I?"

The demon seems to get excited at this part of the plan. "That's why we need the archdemon's support. I told you that I could protect you until your powers fully mature. That is part of it. The other part is that I can keep you from becoming a full demon. You would retain your powers as they are now."

"What? I thought these powers were linked to my reaper vessel?"

"Not at all. Most of your powers are linked to your soul. Your vessel only helps you to focus it. The other souls you have collected have amplified your abilities. I can do something similar for you in hell."

"How?"

The man with the broken leg sees me and moans. He is close to death. Ornias says, "Go on reaper, the job comes first." A bare hint of a smile gives me pause. The demon is hiding something. I would be surprised if he wasn't holding something back.

He is right though. I stare into the man's eyes and the white flash of light transports me again. The same narative plays across my vision. This time the light reflects off the cross that hangs off the butt of the gun. "HAVE FAITH" echos in my head even though no one has said it. The reaper carrying the gun takes aim. The girl who had fallen to the ground attempts to shield herself with her arm. The gun fires. NO!

The vision ends. I swallow the man's soul.

Ornias asks, "No? What have you been seeing the last few times while taking their souls?"

I hesitate responding. Would I really shoot that little girl?

I say, "Their lives. I can see every tragic event. It can be too much for the new souls within." Two can play this game. I have secrets of my own. Even if I don't know what this vision means.