Chapter 24 - Killing

I peruse the list while asking, "The job's done... Go on."

Ornias rubs his palms together. "Where was I?"

"Amplifying abilities." The last two souls are in the same area according to the list.

"Ah yes. Like the souls you have collected, I can attach demons to your soul. Their energy is chaotic and unpredictable, but if you can master that power then you can rival any of the archdemons."

I nod. It sounds logical, but I still have doubts about the demon's plan. Something is eating away at me inside. It's telling me that I'm not done yet. The black smoke surrounds me with sparks of electricity spiraling around me.

The location is in the middle of a field. The dry grass catches the sparks that shoot out from my teleportation. A small flame springs forth from one blade that is high enough to poke me in the chest.

Ornias soon follows. "What do you think reaper?"

I hope this flame doesn't spread, but the tall brown grass looks ready to blaze. "Without your protection I will likely perish in Hell?"

"You may survive, but it's unlikely. Jealousy is rampant amoung my kind. Anyone who is seen as a threat will be destroyed swiftly. I prefer to make allies or at least servants of those who show potential. I am somewhat of a facilitator in Hell, but with you at my side I could finally make a strong power play."

The flame jumps to another blade of grass then a third. "Fire! Can you help me stop this demon?"

"Why bother reaper? What will be.. will be."

"It was caused by sparks from teleporting."

Ornias smiles. "Sorry Thomas. I can make it bigger, but I don't think that's the problem. I have very limited abilities when it comes to manipulating this world."

Think! Maybe the wind from teleporting can blow it out before it gets too big. I try teleporting directly over the fire. More sparks fly out, but the wind does stifle the small flame that had begun.

Ornias claps. "Well done!"

"Are there others like you who might try to recruit me once we're in hell?"

"Of course, but none that would allow you to retain any of your soul's light. You would have to become a full demon. There are stories about those who have tried what I plan with you. Immense power, but also great risk. If you want to survive reaper, you must have great discipline."

Another flame is rising in the grass. I begin to teleport to fan it down and notice two more around me. Teleporting towards the first one snuffs it out. I am able to get the other two as well, but the sparks from teleporting make more small flames. My next teleport fans the flame rather than dashing it out. It spreads. That's when I see a couple lying in the grass naked. They are embracing each other, unaware of the fire.

Ornias has a smile that seems to hunger for death. "I don't think you can stop this one reaper."

I triple my efforts, teleporting faster to direct and defeat the flames. It seems futile as each one seems to spread the flames further and further. Eventually fire is everywhere, and the couple is surrounded by it.

"Oh God please no."

The demon's face turns into a grimace. "What's done is done reaper. I would assume that those two are the remaining names on your list?"

They indeed are.