Doing Nothing Is Exhausting

***Darius POV***

We have been watching periodically for two years. What little we witnessed, it was too much. Every time, we only observed the small seven year old green eyed angel. We were not allowed to take action, we were not allowed to intervene.

While we were unable to gather any solid physical evidence, the circumstantial evidence was overwhelming. We kept files and updated data with every stake out. I kept in constant contact with Persephone.

I refrained from physically accompanying my men during most trips. My anger and disgust made me worthless. I couldn't think about what might be happening to Aubrey. Being in the same vicinity, breathing the same air she may have expelled, too much. I knew my behavior was becoming erratic.

The newest update was not helping my resolve.

Ethan, my Gamma, came in to brief me on the results of his latest surveillance:

"Alpha" he greeted me.

"Take a seat Ethan." I demanded.

"If you don't mind, I would like to stand." He mumbled.

"Suit yourself!" I agreed.

"What happened?" I questioned Ethan.

"I can't say for sure. It would be more speculation than fact." He admitted.

"Then speculate and give me the facts you do have." I commanded.

"Aubrey was sleeping. She was in the room she shares with her older sister. The door was closed but, unlocked. I saw the man from your vision, watching from outside the door. He had cracked it open silently enough that even I didn't catch it. He had a predatory glint in his eye. He walked over to Aubrey and picked her up. Cradling her body against his chest in a bridal hold, he carried her out of the room and closed the door." Ethan spoke with such fear.

"What happened?" I roared.

"I don't know. I went around the house but, all the windows were blocked by black material. I had no idea what part of the house they were in. I went back to her bedroom, waiting for her to return. It seemed so long, she was gone.
After, forever, the man returned. He carried Aubrey, who may or may not have been sleeping, back to her bed, in the dark. He laid her back down and slipped out of the room without pause." Ethan said.

He was on the verge of puking at this point. I saw his stomach knotting and flinching. He knows something and he was keeping it from me.

"Ethan?" I announced in question.

"Yes Alpha?" He replied.

"Look at me, in my eyes, and do not say a word until I am finished." I spoke menacingly. Hoping to get the rest of the story.

Ethan snapped his head up and locked eyes with me. He gulped so hard that his Adam's Apple was prominently caressing his throat.

"You will fucking tell me what you know. You will not hide it from me. You will not protect me. I want to know what the fuck is making your stomach coil. Spit-it-out-NOW." I roared with absolute authority.

Ethan, lowered his head. I could smell the salty tears licking his skin. He placed his head in his hands. He rubbed roughly over his face with his calloused hands. He then grabbed at his hair in distraught frustration.

"HER SCENT!" He screamed.

My body locked. My hands shook. My spine was ram rod straight as my head snapped into position. My eyes started burning iridescent as Ultor pressed for control.