Chapter Twelve: Back on Track

The next morning we woke up early and were determined to stop SPYDER once and for all. Nothing can stop us now. Not after what they did to Erica.

I filled Erica in on the situation so far. She looked puzzled. "Maybe the information we got was fake. Just like the first time when Murray turned out to be the mole. Maybe the chatter was fake, and it was just hiding something much more important." Erica suggested.

That seemed to trigger a reaction from Cyrus and Catherine, they both instantly went on their computers and started frantically typing, checking up on data.

I also considered that possibility. But it was unlikely SPYDER could do something more harmful than crashing all the planes in the world.

Cyrus's receiver suddenly beeped, notifying us of an incoming signal. We gathered around it to hear. It was a conversation from the bug he planted earlier. "Joshua demanded the bombs to be ready before next week. Have you prepared the remotes for ignition?" A man with a deep, monotone voice asked.

"No, sir. The factories had a small error in producing them. They will be delayed for another two days." Another man answered.

I gulped. Today is already Thursday. We only have 3 more days to save the world. And we don't even have any idea of their plan whatsoever. Another wave of fear crashed upon me. What if this isn't what we've been expecting at all? What if they're trying to cause even more damage to the world? What if we couldn't save the world in time? Millions of people would die because of us.

"Hello? Ben?" I realized Erica was talking to me.

"Uh- yeah?"

"What's wrong? You weren't responding to me for like five minutes."

"Oh, Sorry. I was just thinking."

"About what?" She looked curious.

"We really don't have a clue about SPYDER's plan. And so many innocent people could die because of us."

"Ben, I know you're stressed about it. But we can't do anything if you keep worrying and thinking we'll never succeed. SPYDER's plans were never easy to crack, and you know they're as devious as they come. But yet every time we manage to thwart their plans and save the world. If you don't believe in yourself, then we're all doomed. So the only way for us to save those people is to do our best and give it all we got. Because they're counting on us. Don't let them down, okay?"

I looked in Erica's eyes and saw uncertainty with a bit of sadness. But there was something else that made her believe. Hope. Suddenly I felt a strong wave of strength. I had to do my best to save these people. They're innocent. They don't deserve to die. With a heavy heart but the last sliver of hope, I said, "Okay."

I didn't know how anything would turn out. But I wanted to at least try my best. There's only one thing we can do at this point.

Kidnap and interrogate.

Four hours later Erica, Cyrus, Catherine and I were already on the roof of the hotel SPYDER stayed at. Mike and Zoe waited near the elevator and stairs in case they try to make a run for it. Since they were in the penthouse, we could find the correct time to swoop in from the roof and get the jump on them. Speaking of which, now is the right time.

One of the men came out to the balcony to take a phone call. Erica jumped down kicked him on the back of his head. Before he could turn around, I covered his mouth and nose with my chloroform rag. He instantly collapsed and we tied him up to two strings which Cyrus and Catherine were holding from the rooftop. They pulled him up swiftly and we followed.

Well, we could have followed if I didn't bump into the glass door.

Hope you enjoyed it! And Happy Boxing Day!