14 | "so you're not even going to try and deny it?"

I'm standing outside of the school building with Kendall and Alissa waiting for my ride home when I notice Liam heading my way

I'm standing outside of the school building with Kendall and Alissa waiting for my ride home when I notice Liam heading my way. Instantly, I can feel the stress of my day fading, leaving me with nothing but excitement at the sight of the boy who always brings me butterflies.

"Liam!" I cry with a grin, bounding toward him. I jump into his arms, and he catches me easily. I don't think as I kiss the boy who is now basically my boyfriend without the title, smiling as I pull away.

He sets me back onto the ground gently, peering down at me with a smile that makes my day. "I wasn't expecting that," he admits, grinning.

"I wasn't expecting to see you!" I sound giddy, and I almost hate myself for that.

"I'm just heading to lacrosse workouts," Liam tells me nonchalantly. At the mention of the word lacrosse, my stomach starts to churn. It reminds me that I have stupidly agreed to continue to help Luke with his plan, regardless of the fact that it means going against Liam.

For some reason, at this thought, I hear Ms. Edwards' voice resonating through my mind. Fro love, what would you sacrifice?

I push the thought to the side, trying to ignore the guilt flowing through my veins as I force a smile I know doesn't look real enough, glancing up at Liam as if I'm confused.

"Really?" I ask, sounding disappointed. "I was hoping you and I could do something today."

Instantly, Liam's features twist with regret. I hate myself for what I'm doing in this moment, hardly able to look into Liam's conflicted brown-eyed gaze. I know what he's thinking, no doubt debating with himself what he should. Go to lacrosse workouts like he should, or skip to hang out with me because I suggested so.

"I'm really sorry, Jade," Liam says after a moment. "I just can't miss workouts. I'm trying to place as team captain, and if I don't show up . . ." he trails off, shooting me an apologetic glance.

I try not to come across too disappointed. I mean, I should be happy that Liam isn't skipping because of me. I genuinely like him and want him to be happy in life. And yet I still can't stop disappointment at Liam's decline from surging through my veins, causing my lips to wilt into a frown. I'm sure the feeling is only brought along by the realization that I won't be able to hang out with Liam today . . .

. . .  and definitely not because I'm letting Luke down.

I'm not sure why the thought of Luke even comes to my mind. Though the only thing scarier than the thought is knowing deep down that it's slightly true.

I offer Liam a faltering smile as I say, "Oh, that's okay. Another time, then?"

"Of course," Liam reassures me, setting his hand comfortingly on my shoulder. "You know I'll always make time for you. I really am sorry, Jade."

"It's okay. I get it."

"I'll call you later," Liam promises before leaning down and planting a sweet kiss on my cheek.