21 | "you're welcome."

"I'm sorry, baby," I whisper softly as I run a hand through Liam's hair, looking down at his head as it rests in my lap

"I'm sorry, baby," I whisper softly as I run a hand through Liam's hair, looking down at his head as it rests in my lap. "I know you really wanted that position."

And I do know how badly Liam wanted to be lacrosse captain this year, the same as I know how badly Luke wanted the spot. Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy for Luke. But I'm upset for Liam, as well. I care about both boys, and I tend to feel whatever they're feeling when I'm around them.

Liam musters a smile as his eyes meet mine, feigning nonchalance. "It's whatever," he assures me, though I notice the conflicting gleam in his brown eyes. "I mean, there's still a chance I'll get a scholarship. And, if not, it's not like I'll have a problem paying my way into a university."

I know Liam isn't meaning to brag by saying this, but to simply state a fact. Just as I am a Montgomery and have wealthy parents, Liam is a Wellington. I also know that Liam's father wants him to go to Syracuse to follow in his footsteps, and his grandfather before him. So even if Liam doesn't manage to get a scholarship, I'm sure he'll end up at Syracuse anyway.

"Maybe this is a good thing," I murmur, hoping I'm not crossing a line by saying this. "I mean, is lacrosse really what you want to do with your college career? Or is it what your dad wants?"

Liam is silent for a moment, frowning thoughtfully. Sighing, he admits, "Maybe it's a little bit of both." I can tell by his expression that this conversation is one he doesn't want to continue. Liam quickly changes the subject by forcing a rueful smirk as he mutters, "I'm just pissed that I lost out to Luke Bradford. I mean, who worse to lose to?"

I roll my eyes, biting back a teasing grin. "I swear, you two act like you're eight. When is your stupid rivalry going to end?"

"Probably never," Liam retorts honestly, grinning up at me. He laces our fingers as he adds, "But I've got one thing Luke doesn't, and that makes me the ultimate winner."

Shaking my head, I ask, "And what's that?"

"You," Liam replies simply, brown eyes soft as they search my green. I know Liam is only trying to be sweet, but for a moment it feels as if I can't breathe. I've forgotten that Liam doesn't know that there was a point in time where Luke and I were close to being together. And if things then had gone the way I'd wanted them to, I'd likely be sitting here with a different boy.

I shake the thoughts to the side and force what I hope to be a realistic smile. "You thought that was smooth, didn't you?"

"Oh." Liam laughs, smirking. "I know it was smooth."

"Someone's cocky."

"Like you aren't thinking the same thing," Liam mumbles as he sits up. He shifts to face me, cupping my face in his hands. "I don't want to mope about not becoming team captain anymore," he tells me.

I raise my eyebrows, warding off a grin. "So . . . what do you want to do, then?"

Liam shrugs, his dimples making an appearance as he smiles. "I had something in mind . . ."