12 | I Will Never Take The Jayce Mirella Case

Chapter Twelve
Rhys Chandler

I turn to look at Luna before I go with Daniel to see Jayce Mirella and tell her to wait by the receptionist's desk until I'm done. She nods in response and immediately begins to chat animatedly with Laura as they spoke about whatnot. I turn around and follow Daniel through the door he entered from to expose a room filled with desks and police officers hard at work.

Some officers that I knew personally look up and give me a nod that I respond to with a nod of my own. We walk down a hallway until we both stop at a door. I turn to look at him, he's already looking at me with that daydream daze in his hazel eyes. Instead of thanking him as I had initially planned to do, I give him a firm nod as I turn to look at the door, ignoring the pout on his face.

I grasp the doorknob in my hand and pull the door open to reveal an empty room with a rectangular desk and two chairs at opposite ends with one seat occupied by a girl who is rocking dangerously in the steel silver chair in a way where she could easily lose balance and fall backward any minute now. Her appearance is one to take in as she immediately glances at me, she watches me walk into the room, and close the door behind me. I look at the police officer beside the door frame and he nods at me in greeting, I respond with the same head nod.

"I'm going to need you to leave. It's always just a one on one with me and my client." I inform the officer, he looks at me with uncertainty as he glances at Jayce Mirella.

"I don't think that's the best option, Mr. Chandler. She's been convicted of murder so—" the officer begins in his comically high pitch voice that throws me off for a moment, I regain myself swiftly and cut him off.

"I can handle myself, though I do thank you for your concern," I tell him, he nods respectfully.

He leaves the room with the soft thud of the door closing. I approach the table and slide the chair out so that I can take a seat. She watches me the whole time without saying anything, it didn't seem like she was the type to get chummy with just anyone, I can say that I'm the same in regards to that.

Her yellow hair is quite lopsided, the freckles on her face sprinkled every which way so that it lands over her nose, onto her cheeks, on her forehead, and just slightly underneath her nose. Her diamond-shaped head seems to suit her figure as she's quite petite which highly contrasts the powerful and dominating appearance of her facial features at this moment. Her narrow in shape Hershey kisses chocolate brown eyes narrow into slits like she wants to tear me apart, I suppose that that's supposed to somewhat intimidate me but in truth, it does nothing of the sort as I slip my black coat off of my shoulders and adjust the arms of my white dress shirt effortlessly with a lack of interest to her looks.

"Say something," came her soft voice with a twang of an accent, I look at her.

Somehow, I didn't expect for her to have that tone of voice just from her domineering form. She sounded gentle like she would be the best at reading a child bedtime stories. But her words are what perplexed me.

"Say something?" I reiterated her words and she nods, affirming some thought that ran through her head as she now lays back in her seat uncaring.

"I thought you'd sound like the Peewee Hermann that just left." She laughs to herself, I raise a brow.

"Peewee Hermann?" I question.