29 | It's Them

Chapter Twenty-Nine
Jayce Mirella

"Keagan and I always had coffee a couple of blocks from here, he was always such a sweet guy too ya know." The man we were speaking to solemnly shakes his head in dismay. "It's a shame what happened to him truly, oh, and his wife too. She was such a sweet woman. She'd come over to the office with those fruity macaroons with her." The man looks up at the ceiling recalling the memory, laughing gently as he did so. "I loved those macaroons, she never told me where she got them from though."

As touching as his reminiscing of wonderful Keagan and Delilah Quince was, it did nothing to help Rhys and I. Growing impatient, I elbow Rhys who glances down at me with a look that was similar to the one spread across my face as I without a doubt knew that he was thinking, 'this is useless,' just as I was.

"Yeah, I know how you feel," Rhys says in response but his tone gave away that he didn't truly sympathize with him. "Unfortunately, I have other business to attend to with my client."

He nods his head in understanding. "Of course, have a good evening."

The evening would've been far better if you had some kind of grudge against Keagan Quince that exploded all at once while you were at his house thus causing you to lash out and kill both him and his wife. But no, instead you and Keagan were as close as two macaroons adjacent to each other in a damn decorated box.

"Likewise," Rhys replied in kind.

Turning, Rhys and I begin walking away from the man and down the hallway of the first floor. Most of the people Keagan Quince knew resided on the first floor where things like the company's accounting, marketing, and executive department of the company spent their time in their offices. We've been spending all morning since around noon speaking with the people that were close to Keagan down from someone who had brief encounters with him to someone who spent their day to day with him.

Despite all of our efforts, none of the people that we've spoken to lead to anything worthy of suspicion. They all went through their memories of him. How he'd always have a smile on his face, how he rambled on and on about his nagging but loving wife, how he was always determined to finish a case the best he could; Keagan Quince was an amazing guy.

I tried to redeem our efforts by hoping that the people we spoke to were just being fake with secret ill intentions in mind but upon finding a way to get the people to leave their office with Rhys while I scavenged through the room to find dirt, I was never able to find anything. They were all clean except for the piled high traffic tickets or inappropriate magazines found in the drawers of some of the people we spoke with.

Thinking about it, I couldn't help but acknowledge how good of a thing it was that so many loved him so it was truly a good thing but also a bad thing because no one had any true motive for killing such an amazing guy.

Who would kill a good like Keagan Quince, and why? That's the question swirling through my mind.

Rhys and I couldn't even go through the flash drive because we needed to send it to forensics as soon as possible as it would take a few weeks for us to get results back, and we were running out of time. Once we're assured that the blood is Keagan's or Delilah's, whatever is on the flash drive then becomes important as we can connect our findings directly to the case.

It felt like the only thing we've found so far is a flash drive that could hold nothing of importance, and argue that their time of death doesn't coincide with the time I arrived at the residence but that was truly worth nothing as the prosecution will be able to create a plausible story. All they have to do is convince the jury that I'm guilty without a shadow of a doubt and my life is over before I know it. They had the evidence, a fake motive, and a story to follow. Meanwhile, Rhys and I had nothing.