Chapter Thirty Eight

Word Count: 1652

~Rosie

I don't remember much about my death.

Being mortal, it's a lot of what you think about. Your death. I remember being in a dark depression, that my life had fallen into a pit of inescapable sadness. Since becoming immortal, I've never considered death, or dying. Maybe it's because I've had Time with me and my every step, and there is no way he would let me die as his mate.

But as a mortal I was scared of death. Mainly because I didn't think there would be a life after death, and that I would just cease to exist. Little did I know there would be an entire realm dedicated to immortals. I thought it was all myth. I even suspected Time to be a myth, because a creature like him seemed so unlikely to my simple mind back then.

My brothers got into an accident two weeks before I died. I was devastated, and I still am. I'm desperate to find them, but until Time is done running from Sinful and finds a way to face him, I'm not going to see them.

But I can't think of that now.

My life was never perfect, but I didn't hate being an immortal. I can tell Time knows that, by the way he desperately searches my expression for any clue, still holding tightly onto each side of my face.

"You killed me? I don't even remember how I died," I breathe. Every time I go back into my memory to search for that lost moment, I just find a vacant space of nothingness. One night it just...happened. I've always believed I died in my sleep, or in a sudden freak accident where my memories would remain unrecoverable.

I never even consider the idea that Time had killed me.

"Well technically I didn't kill you by my hand. I just made someone else do it," he tells me. My eyes widen. Is that supposed to make his admission sound better?

"Why? Who killed me?" I question. I'm not sure if I'm angry or scared. The thought of my mate making someone kill me...the idea that I had been murdered. That was never an option that ever crossed my mind, so as it sinks in, I feel dread consume every inch of me.

"Maybe it would be better if I showed you," Time said warily. He grabs my arm, and before I know it, we appear upon the ground.

The sudden arrival has me plummeting toward the ground, but I'm caught in a soft but uncomfortable grasp. Snow.

This is the Love Pack.

Cold joins the familiarity, as I force myself back to my feet, brushing snow off my clothing. I'm home, on my street where I grew up. Lamp lights illuminate enough for me to see through the darkness. My house. I can see my house. It seem so much smaller than it was when I grew up there, but it still makes me smile. I haven't been home in so many years.

"Can I go inside?" I question into the air, looking back at Time who is given me enough space to react if I decided to charge at him in anger. Luckily for him, the sight of my home, standing beneath the falling flakes, has replaced my initial anger with a sense of comfort.

Time steps beside me, the heaped snow sinking beneath his feet. "Not the best idea. We are in a timeline before you died. Well, in only a few minutes you'll be...you know."

My jaw settles into a painful clench. Right, I'm about to be murdered at the hands of a stranger, by the instructions of my mate.

Time nudges my side, motioning to a bush across the road from my house, not too far from where we stand now, but far enough for the wind to carry our voices away. A girl crouches beside Time...another Time from this current era. She has dark hair, similar to mine, but when she turns to face Time, she has deeper blue eyes than mine. She's pretty...what is her business with Time?