Chapter Twenty-Two

I woke up to the sound of the school bell ringing

I woke up to the sound of the school bell ringing. I furrowed my eyebrows and sighed. I didn't open my eyes at all and I didn't move either. I should probably get to class, but I didn't have the energy. I was comfortable, and even the thought of moving made me angry. I really should've went to bed last night.

I laid there until the bell stopped ringing. I was drifting back off to sleep until I realized that I was laying on something soft. It wasn't the cement, and I didn't bring my bag with me. So what was I laying on? I was going through a list of answer when suddenly the thing my head was resting upon moved. My breathing halted and my eyes shot open. The sudden change in lighting made my vision blurry. I blinked repeatedly, trying to make them clear up faster. Luckily it was helping.

As they cleared up and adjusted to the light, the concrete ground came into my vision. I would've been relieved if it was at ground level.

I shifted my eyes downward slightly and my eyes were met with school uniform pants. My face began to heat up as I came to the realization of where I had to be laying. I'm laying on his lap...I'm laying on Ba Wei's lap!

I was frozen. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to continue to lay on his lap, but something was telling me that getting up wouldn't make this less embarrassing. Don't be dumb. You're gonna have to get up sometime.

With all my courage I slowly pushed myself up from his lap. I made sure to keep my eyes towards the ground as I did this. I was waiting for him to say something but he never did. I raised my eyes and to my surprise the boy in front of me was asleep. His features were softened, yet still strong. That stern look he usually held on his face was gone. If anyone around the school could see him like this, they'd think it was a different person. I stared at him for a minute before I came to the conclusion that I probably should wake him up.

I pushed my hair behind my ear and took in a deep breath. I reached out and gave him a slight shake. By the way he lying there I thought he was in a deep sleep, but his eyes opened immediately after the first shake. His eyes shot to mine and for once I didn't look away.

"Lunch is over. We need to get to class." He yawned but still nodded. I stood up and stretched and he did the same. I looked down at my watch and sighed. "We're going to be ten minutes late."

"Who cares," he said as he yawned again.

"I care," I said as I started walking towards the door.

"Ah, I forgot you're a nerd," he said while he rubbed his eyed. That word made me angry, but I ignored it.

"I'm not a nerd," I said under my breath. I was hoping he wouldn't have heard it, but I didn't have such luck.

"Sure you aren't." Sarcasm leaked  from his mouth and although I wanted to say something back, I didn't. That peaceful relaxed person I got to see while he was sleeping was gone now. I wouldn't even say that he was being himself because he seemed more irritated than anything. Is this how he is when he wakes up? Cranky?

As I walked down the stairs from the roof, he wasn't far behind. It was silent and as we entered the halls it seemed even more quiet. No one was out, and that was because class had already started again. I glanced back at Ba Wei to see him looking at the tile floor as he walked.

"When you go into class. Tell them that you were with me."

"What," he said confused, "why?"

"You won't get in trouble if you say that."

"I won't get in trouble anyway."

"Just say it. It'll make you look less like a slacker." He didn't say anything after that. We just walked in silence. I glanced behind me again to check on him and our eyes met. I quickly turned around and a small chuckle came from behind me.

"You're bad at being discrete," he said as he caught up to me.

"I wasn't trying to be."

"Don't lie."

"I'm not."

"Really, then why'd you react the way you did?" I could feel my face began to heat up. Ba Wei didn't let up on his teasing at all. "Does my stare intimidate you?"

I didn't know what to say. I wanted to say it didn't, but I'm truth I was confused about that to. I didn't know why I shifted my eyes when our eyes would meet. I never have done that to anyone, not even my father. My heart began to speed up, and I could feel my face grow hotter. That unfamiliar feeling surfaced once again.

"No."

"Then what is it?" I looked over at him and a small smirk was plastered across his face. Was he enjoying this?

"I don't know."

"You're no fun." He seemed to take what I said as an answer and stopped asking questions. I couldn't help but glance over at him, but I couldn't read him. All I could see was that stern face, and those cold eyes. As I stared at him, only one word came to mind. Cute.

I nudged him a little, "don't pout." I looked over at him as I said this, and I watched as his once cold face came to life. He raised an eyebrow at me, and nudged me back.

"I don't pout."

"Really? Then what were you doing a minute ago," I teased. "Didn't get the answer you wanted?" I could help the small chuckles that left me as I said that sentence. Ba Wei smirked a bit, but suddenly he grabbed my wrist and stopped walking.

"If I wanted a certain answer," he pulled me closer to him, "I could get it very easily out of you." I stared into his eyes as he said this and it seemed like he meant every word. I'm not gonna back down this time.

"Do it then," I said coldly. The small smirk that laid across Ba Wei's face dropped instantly as I said those words. He let go of my wrist and stepped beside me. He leaned in close to my ear and whispered something that sent chills through my body.

"Don't test me."