TWO - aggie's a bitch!

TWO — aggie's a bitch!

"Holy shit," Bee said as soon as she stepped onto her back porch

The planks of wood, which were coated in chipped white paint, creaked under her weight, and one wobbled as her foot fell against it. Bee marvelled at the damage caused by Agatha, the hurricane that swept through the island last night. Branches had cracked off of trees and were spewed haphazardly across the yard, leaves littered both the porch and the grass, and an unfamiliar, muddied shoe sat almost perfectly in the centre of it all.

A chorus of birds sang from up in the trees and one of the bushes rustled in the distance, probably caused by a mouse or squirrel.

"Jesus, Aggie's a bitch!" Felix laughed in disbelief at the mess, joining his sister on the porch. His bedhead was quite noticeable that morning, and Bee let out a small giggle at his disheveled state.

She turned to face the messy yard, nodding. "She sure is."

"Is mom up?" Felix asked, a yawn deepening his voice. He stepped stiffly down the few stairs and ventured into the yard.

"Yeah, but she's not here. Left a note, though. Said she wanted to check on the motel first thing since there was a bunch of  tourons who decided to stay there overnight."

"Ah. I wonder what time she'll be back." Felix busied himself by picking up small branches as he walked.

Bee sighed and shrugged. "Probably after dark. You know how she gets. Power's out here,  by the way."

"Damn. We should probably clean this up," Felix said, bending to pick up the shoe. "Mom'll make us do it eventually, anyway."

They knew the drill, for the Outer Banks tended to be a prime target for hurricanes just like Agatha. So, despite their lack of desire to do so, the Flynn siblings began to tidy up their yard. The air was light and misty from all the heavy rain and the sun hadn't had a chance to bake the island yet, which made the yard work relatively easy to do. Bee and Felix worked fast, though because the clear blue sky and sunlight meant that it was going to get hot that day, and they didn't want to get caught under the sun's ruthless rays.

The hurricane's damage wasn't too drastic on the Flynn property, so they were done within a couple hours. To celebrate the completion, Felix ducked inside their little house and came back out with two popsicles. They had sat untouched in the freezer for so long that crystallized ice decorated the shiny orange surface of Bee's popsicle. She glanced over at Felix to see he was holding a red one.

"You gave yourself cherry?" Bee asked, staring at the popsicle in her brother's hand. Her eyes narrowed and she looked up at his face. "You know that's my favourite flavour, bro."

Felix shrugged, positively unbothered. "Help yourself before you help others, Bee."

"Who even says that?"