21 | Spellbound

Gabriel

Relaxed and focused, I'd spent my day basking under the sun, overseeing the juveniles training. I had neglected monitoring their defense and attack strategies and needed to make sure we were progressing. I also needed a distraction from the morning that was.

Her lips... she didn't spring away... her lips... her lips... her lips...

Focused? Who was I fucking kidding. No distraction was working.

The scent of her arousal had piqued in recent days, a fact validated by her attempts to hide from my view. I knew she wasn't nearing her heat anytime soon, but clearly the bond was affecting her as much as it had been me.

Tonight would be the third evening that Adrienne hadn't stayed at the house to comfort Miesha through the night. Unbeknownst to her, I had asked Adrienne to slowly withdraw her support, as it was time for Miesha to stand on her own two feet so to speak.

Her nightmares had waned. Her physicality and strength was improving. Her wolf... well, her wolf was vociferously perfect... a presence to be reckoned with. It had been a painstakingly slow process, but with the right care, Miesha was blossoming into her destined self. I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't beautiful to watch.

But. There was always a but. I wanted more.

I couldn't hide the way I eyed the beauty mark on her neck, the one right beside where I wanted to mark her. My wolf was growing impatient, and if I was honest, so was I. And it wasn't just because I wanted to consume her, because of course I did... It was also because for each day that passed, her status as an unclaimed female left her exposed to un-mated males. I was growing nervous. I almost lost her once, and be damned if it was going to happen again.

Leaning against the timber fence, I called out, "Enough! You're swinging blindly. You lose your focus, you lose the fight. Again." I studied the sweaty forms grappling before me, "If you can't win in skin form, you won't win in fur. Know your weaknesses so they can become your strength."

James had done well with training the pack thus far, but we couldn't afford to be complacent. It was important we stuck to our training... it could almost be considered theological as ultimately, the preservation of our pack depended on it.

"Be back here at 1400 hours. We aren't done yet."

The juveniles eagerly dispersed, resting before we'd resume later in the day. Leaving the dust to settle, I saw the group off before heading inside the pack house, keen to get the conversation I'd been dreading over with...

~

She was mingling with a few other she-wolves in the hall, decorating the tables for tonight's Saining Ritual.

Stepping in, I pursed my lips before calling out.

"Eliza... A word."

I gestured for her to follow me to the office where we could discuss things privately. I didn't want to hurt her. She had a good heart, but ultimately she didn't have mine.

Placing the streamers on the table, she followed. Sadness was etched across her face, of course... she knew.

I sighed before gently closing the door behind us. Running my fingers through my hair, I walked over to the window, too ashamed to face her with my cowardice. I shouldn't have left this conversation this long... It wasn't right. I was that jerk.

I turned to face her.

"I apologize Eliza. I should have told you sooner."

She looked to the floor. "I understand Gabriel. I knew the second she entered our territory. Her scent has been all over you ever since and has only gotten stronger..."

"I never meant for it to be a slap in the face Eliza. Things have been... complicated." I paused before looking straight at her, making it clear that it was over... "I love her."

She couldn't hide the disappointment that fell across her face, but to her credit, she held herself well. I could see her mull over her reply, cautious to speak too soon.

I'd hurt her and I felt like an asshole.

She spoke softly, "I am happy for you Gabriel, honestly. You were always good to me, but we both knew this time would come. I hold no ill feelings and look forward to meeting your mate."

I walked towards her, before gently placing my hand on her shoulder.

A small smile curved from my face as I reminisced on what we shared, "Your mate is out there Eliza. I've no doubt he is waiting for you as you are him, and I wish nothing more than for you to find your happiness."

"I am glad that you've found your other half Gabriel. I look forward to meeting our Luna... Be assured I will hold her in the same reverence as I do you."

She smiled back, a look of realization... a chapter closing... finality. A tender good bye before she left the room, becoming but a memory of my past. Now, I could focus on my future.

~

My head turned as she walked down the stairs. Coming closer with each step, she wasn't doing anything except holding my world together. The flight of her footsteps. The gold of her smile. I was spellbound.

"Ready?"

"As I'll ever be..."

The moon was high, our silhouettes but dancing shadows as we stood outside the pack house. Her ambivalence evident from the hitch in her breath, "I haven't been around this many people in a long time Gabriel. I don't think I can do this..." She gestured her head towards the entry way, "This isn't my territory, it's yours... and theirs."

"You've no need to be nervous Miesha."

Turning to her, I gently lifted her hand, placing her palm on my center of my chest. "You are safe here Miesha. That's a promise."

Before she had a chance to respond, light swung from the doors as bellies of laughter cascaded out before us. A group of pups coming out to play on the grass outside.

"Shall we?"

And with a small nod, we entered the pack house. Her emerald lace dress billowing behind her as we united as one, ready for an evening of celebration.

 Her emerald lace dress billowing behind her as we united as one, ready for an evening of celebration

Thank you for reading.

Don't forget to vote and comment if you are enjoying my story.