Nia

Carmen: Hey best friendddd!
Me: Hey mama! What are you doing?
Carmen: Nothing! Where you at? I just got to town. I'm tryna pull up.
Me: I'm studying right now. You can come through.
Carmen: I'm like twenty minutes away from you.
Me: I'm at my parents' house.
Carmen: Okay! I'll be there in a little bit.
Me: Bye.

Carmen is my BFF from high school. She went off to Kansas for school chasing after her boyfriend who got a basketball scholarship at KU, so I only get to see her when she comes home. Thankfully, that's often because the drive is not too bad.

I was home for the weekend too, so I could do laundry and get free food from my parents. After I finished up my Calc 1 quiz on Blackboard, I closed my MacBook and neatly stacked my textbook and notebook on my desk. "I'm outside, boo!" read the text from Carmen.

I headed to the front door to let her in.

Carmen: Hiiii, boo! I missed you!
Me: I missed you too!
Carmen: You home alone?
Me: Yeah, my mama and daddy went to Home Depot. They're doing some kind of project and my mama won't let my daddy handle it alone. You know she has to be in control.
Carmen: That's your mama. You are glowing since I saw you a few weeks ago. What is new with you?
Me: Girl, please!
Carmen: Is there new dick on the menu?
Me: There's nothing going on! Shut up!
Neal: Ayoo what the fuck did I just walk into. I'm gonna vomit!
Carmen: Boy, watch your mouth!

Neal is my fourteen year old brother, by the way. He's as annoying as little brothers are. He thinks he's the coolest kid on the block and is super overprotective of me. It's adorable and I love him for it.

Me: I thought you were going to play basketball with your friends.
Neal: I was just leaving. Thank God, so I don't ever hear about my sister having sex. Fucking gross!
Me: Shut up!
Neal: Bye, bro! I can't believe I just heard that.

Me and Carmen were cracking up laughing as he rushed out the front door.
Me: You want something to drink or a snack or sum'n?
Carmen: Gimme a water.
Me: So what you getting into this weekend?
Carmen: Ain't no parties or nothing?
Me: Now you know I don't party.

My phone started vibrating in my back pocket. I tossed Carmen a water from the fridge and reached to answer my phone.

Me: Hey...
Arielle: Hey what are you up to?
Me: I'm at my parents' house right now. I was catching up on some laundry and getting some homework done. But my best friend just showed up. Wassup?
Arielle: I was gonna ask if you wanted to see a movie tonight, but looks like you might be busy.
Me: I mean nah...I could still be down. We don't have any plans as of right now.

Carmen started mouthing to me "who is that?" I shh'd her. She's nosy as hell always.

Arielle: You sure it won't be awkward?
Me: I'll see wassup and I'll let you know.
Arielle: Okay, talk to you later, babe.
Me: Byeee.

I sat my phone on the counter and started looking in the pantry for something to snack on, settling for a bag of Hot Cheetos and some fruit snacks.

Carmen: Uh uhhh! Who the fuck?! You not slick. I see that look on your face. That's who got you blushy and shit! Spill it!
Me: Yoooo you're doing way too much right now.
Carmen: Spill the beans, bitch!
Me: Oh my God!
Carmen: Nia Marie Hill, if you don't drop the deets.
Me: You are so annoying!
Carmen: Alright, since you wanna play...

Carmen snatched my phone and took off running. I couldn't get around the counter quick enough before she ran into the half bath next to our den and locked the door.

Me: Bruh, open the door.
Carmen: A?! Who the fuck is A?!
Me: Bitch, give me my phone and stop playing with me!
Carmen: I'm about to dial the number back if you don't start talking!
Me: Fine! Just open the door!