Chapter 20: Burning Devotion

A/N: Hey, readers! Chapter 20 is here :D Can't wait for you to read it (sorry in advance for the cliffhanger - it was inevitable ;P) Okay, well, hope you enjoy! :D Thanks for reading ;)

Chapter 20: Burning Devotion

   Under normal circumstances, I would've told my ex-boyfriend - if I could even call him that - to leave me alone. No hesitation. Truth be told, I was exhausted. The blood - and the power that came with it - from that security guard was already leaving me, and my entire body could feel its effects receding as time went on. The wounds from Ethan's gun were the first to heal, then my shredded wrists were next.

    Russ watched me as I checked my body for any other lacerations of the source. He kept his respectful distance, too, which I appreciated.

    "Toni?"

    I bit my lip, fingers gently prodding my clothing, which was slightly torn from past events. No doubt Russ would enjoy the exposed view, but his dark eyes remained stationed on my face, not the rest of me. Huh...

    Inwardly, I shrugged, then gave the blonde vamp a smirk. "What are you doing here? Have you been stalking me?"

    Russ let out a low chuckle, lacing his pale fingers together before him. At the moment, he almost looked... innocent.

    Boy, was that a total lie...

    "Where have you been, exactly?" he asked, brow raised high. "Kira's been freaking out, practically beat the shit out of that warlock when we discovered that you'd disappeared under his watch."

    My smirk faded. "Yeah well, it wasn't my intention to scare anyone. Believe me."

    Russ nodded, seeming to finally see the rest of my... uh, condition. "What happened to you? Who-" When he inhaled, I tensed. Russ wasn't the oldest vamp I knew, but he was still a crafty bastard and, at times, as ruthless as any crusty vamp I knew. From the expression that he now wore, he knew what had happened.

    Before he could call me out on it, I walked past him, indicating my direction of intent. "Come on. We should go."

    "To The Dakota?" He didn't prod for more. I nodded as I walked, feeling his presence follow me down the empty sidewalk. Dawn was still at least an hour or so away, but I wasn't about to take any chances. I had to explain my experience at the Agency to the others; that was a must, now that I thought about it.

    The less conversation the better, I thought as I noted on Russ' lack of boastful comments and flirtations. He must've lost interest when I'd become a vampire, I deduced. I was no longer a target for him, weak and helpless, but I still relied heavily on my sire.

    "Henri," I muttered under my breath. Henri was still in danger. The cure was nearly in my uncle's twisted hands, and the only thing preventing Hell on earth was my connection to the one and only Henri Sinclair.

    God help me...

    I remembered the ultimatum I'd been given, and glanced back to find Russ staring at me intently. My eyes narrowed. "What?"

    "Immortality suits you."

    "So I've been told," I remarked with a short-winded sigh. Steeling my emotions, I asked. "Has anyone found Drusilla Radcliffe yet?"

    Russ managed a shrug. "Jeremy is trying, but it doesn't seem to be reaching her. The warlock can't do any magic for assistance because it would be too risky."

    I frowned as we reached the famed Dakota Apartments. The windows were mostly pitch black, but I knew a certain suite would be buzzing with activity.