Chapter 25: Human

A/N: So sorry for the delay! This week has been pretty hectic, but chapter 25 is here for your enjoyment :D Please enjoy, and thanks for staying for the end <3

Chapter 25: Human

    I was stunned, at a loss for words. How could my uncle's outlook on being a human change so drastically? What had changed in the first place? 

   No one seemed to have the right answer.

   Dru blinked at the man calmly, her expression unreadable to say the least. One look told a lot. "Why would you want that after regaining your soul?"

   "Don't you enjoy having a heartbeat?" I asked curiously. "It doesn't feel weird at first, but... " I sighed and turned from the sad eyes of my uncle. "But I can't relate to your request to die."

   "It's because he's had a harder afterlife, Ms. Drake." I glanced sideways at Tom, who nodded his head as he continued. "You've been a newborn for only a short amount of time. Odds are that you haven't killed many humans so far." He set his light eyes over on Henri, who stood silently beside me. "Older vampires – creatures such as Henri, Kira, even Robert – they've seen more death in their lifetime. The responsibility of taking a life weighs down one's soul."

   I met Henri's distant eyes, and he stared back. "What?"

   "Is that true?" I questioned softly. "If you become human, will you want death?" When he said nothing, I became suddenly angry. "Is that why you're reluctant to be like me, Henri?"

   The vampire's lips thinned out into a single line. "Antoinette, it's more-"

   "-Complicated, right?" I concluded, my tone harsh and cold. I moved away from him, distancing myself. "I get that a vampire's soul is nonexistent, but humanity is still there." I caught Henri's gaze. "Human emotion is possible in every vampire."

   I heard a scoff from somewhere, and looked over my shoulder. It was Gabriel. "You're sure about that? You'd bet your life on that assumption of yours?"

   "No," I admitted tiredly, dropping my hands from my face. I watched my uncle dip his head, and sighed. "It's rare, but vampires can still feel human emotions, ones like regret, pity, guilt, love..." I bit my lip. "You still love my Mom, don't you?" I asked my despondent uncle. The man seemed to come alive. "All of those emotions you mentioned... They come back with the soul." He pushed the hair form his face and wiped his eyes. "You left out despair and hope. I can't go on because I've killed family."

   "You admit it," I bit out, wanting to move away. Instead, I put a hand on his shoulder. "You regret your life's path."

   "Yes."

   "You pity those lives you took."

   "Yes."

   "You're guilty of the deaths."

   "Yes."

   "You love-"

   "No," Robert growled suddenly. "I can't be forgiven for destroying everything I cared about! Christina... my brother... they're dead because I'd been consumed by a nasty human emotion: jealousy."

   "Just another part of human flaw," Tom added, tilting his head. He still seemed dubious around my uncle, but at least he wasn't unleashing his power on anyone.

   "Why?" Robert sobbed out, clearly out of character at the moment. "Why did I cling to the worst human emotion? I l-loved her..."

   "I'm sure you did," I whispered encouragingly before stepping back, "and that's why I won't let you die."