Chapter 5

Peter was sat on the top of a skyscraper, watching over the city in his Spiderman suit. He sighed and watched as the small spots of people were moving around in the streets, watching for any threats or crimes that he could deal with. Patrol had been pretty dull, and not much had happened, apart from one mugging, but that was quickly resolved.

"Hey, Karen?" Peter asked, calling for his AI. He had coded Karen recently, using the laptop that he owned when he was living with Aunt May. Although they didn't have much money (and he still didn't), May had always made sure he had plenty of resources for his school work, and to keep him occupied.

"Yes, Peter?" Karen responded, in her usual, friendly tone. It had taken a lot of effort, and a long time, but he had managed to create Karen with emotions, which he was glad about, as he could use her to talk about situations and for when he was bored on patrols.

"Is there anything? Even someone needing help crossing the road?" he questions his Ai, his voice laced with hope. He really didn't want to go to his foster home earlier than he had to, which meant that if he didn't go back, and there wasn't anyone for him to help, he would just be sat there for hours on end.

"Unfortunately not, Peter," Karen answers, sympathy evident in her voice. Peter sighs at this, but he thanks his AI anyway.

Just as he was about to go back to his foster parent's house, he feels his phone vibrate in his hidden back pocket. His brows furrow in confusion, and he pulls his phone out of his pocket, wondering who would be messaging him at midnight.

~~~~

Mr. Iron

Has anyone seen the engine I've been working on?

I seem to have misplaced it

Spider

Mr. Iron? What are you doing up, and working, at this time of night?

Mr. Iron

I could ask you the same thing, kid

It's a school night after all

Spider

My question still stands, Mr. Iron

Mr. Iron

Alright, alright

I like to go to my lab to work when I can't sleep

Spider

Nightmares?

Mr. Iron

Yeah

Spider

I get them too

Do you want to talk about them?

I heard it helps

Mr. Iron

Uh, sure

It's the same every time. It shows all of my friends and loved ones dead. I couldn't save them, and it was my fault. I could have, but I didn't

Spider

Mr. Iron, you shouldn't feel like you have to save everyone, nobody can. Even heroes can't save everyone, and that's okay. They (and ourselves) try their best, and that's all we can ask for. If someone you know dies, it doesn't mean that it's your fault. Plus, your family is supposed to be there for you, and protect you too, not just you saving them. 

Tell your friends and family about the nightmares, and they can help. They'll tell you exactly what I told you, that you can't save everyone, and that's okay.

Mr. Iron

Thanks, kid. That really helped me

I'm going to try and get some sleep, and you should too

Spider

Alright

Goodnight, Mr. Iron

Tell me if they come back, alright?

Mr. Iron

Will do, kid

Night

~~~~

Peter smiles at his phone, then pockets it again. He sighs and stands up, jumping off the building. He then uses his web shooters to catch himself, and he repeats it, swinging back to his foster parent's house.

He swings in through his open window, and he quickly changes out of his suit into some pyjamas, and hops into bed, thankful that his foster parents haven't come to check up on him. He quickly falls asleep, a small smile on his lips, remembering what he had done to help someone today, even if he hasn't officially met them.

~~~~~~

Peter wakes up to his foster mother shouting through his door to get up, as well as slamming on the door a few times, for extra measure. He groans quietly, and gets up from his 'bed' (it was basically the cheapest thing they could find, which was just some blankets, laid out on the floor), changing into decent clothes for school. He put on a simple science shirt, jeans and then his Midtown Tech jumper, over the top of his shirt. He picks up his school bag (with his suit at the bottom), and he swings it onto his shoulder.

He then walks out of his small, cupboard of a room, and walks down the corridor, and down the stairs. As he gets to the bottom, his spider senses tell him to stop walking, but he fights the urge, and continues to move, knowing he'll only have it worse if he doesn't let this happen.

Two hands shove Peter, causing the back of his head to connect with the dirty wall. The hands, which belonged to his step father, keeps hold of his jumper collar, and holds him against the wall. His foster father, smirks at him and he chuckles at the position he had him in. 

He then shoves Peter away from him, and he says, "Better hurry up, don't want you being late for school and becoming even more of a disappointment."

Peter nods and keeps his head down, pulling his bag up, as it had fallen off his shoulder when he had been shoved against the wall. He then quickly rushes to the door, and closes it behind him. He continues to keep his head down and rush towards the subway, to get to his school, Midtown Tech. He was glad he didn't have much of a beating, as he didn't want to go to school in pain again. Plus, people might start to get suspicious if he kept coming into school with bruises, even if some of them were from being Spiderman.