2. Hallie

My curly brown hair flowed behind me as I skipped down the street. My house was on a street where houses were scattered far and few between. I turned a corner onto a street that branches off of mine. As I walked I saw a boy who looked to be a little older playing basketball and a girl who was obviously his sister sitting on the porch on her phone. Both of them had skin the color of milk chocolate, contrasting my olive skin. I was almost passed their house when I heard a smooth voice speak from behind me.

"Haven't seen you around before. Are you new here?"

My parents always told me to not talk to strangers, but this girl seemed harmless... other than the fact that she has multiple ear piercings, a septum piercing, was wearing dark makeup, and had what seemed to be a vile of blood around her neck. But I never liked to judge a book by its cover.

I turned around to see the girl walking towards me.

"Yea, I just moved here from Seattle to live with my sister."

"Cool. What's your name?" She asked.

"Posie Omens" I replied

"Oh... your sister is Abbie Omens. She's a bitch"

"Yea..."

Some people might have been offended by someone calling their sister a bitch, but Abbie had a way of annoying everyone she talked to and was also really judgmental. I never felt like I could be myself around her because she would call me childish for liking to color and when I sometimes accidentally say "banky" instead of "blanket". I don't think it's childish, it's just.... me.

"I'm Hallie by the way. And that is my older brother Holland."

Before the conversation can get any further Hallie asks "Wanna come in?"

I was hesitant because I didn't really know this girl, but I didn't want to turn down an opportunity to make a new friend.

"Sure"

We walked into the house and Hallie led me to her room. The room has cream colored walls with a bunch of rock posters everywhere.

"Do you smoke weed?" Hallie asked holding up a blunt.

"Umm... no, I've never really tried it." I said kind of taken aback by her bluntness. "Well do you wanna try it?"

"Ummm not right now" I said not really feeling comfortable under the circumstances.

"Suit yourself. I kinda knew you were a goodie goodie." Hallie said back with a sigh.

"Hey! I'm not a goodie goodie! One time when I was 9, I stuck onto the carousel with out paying!" I said getting a little bit defensive. Hallie just laughed and shook her head. "You're cute kid."

Three hours later, I had learned that Hallie was super chill. She told me that she has lived here her whole life with her Mom, Dad, and brother. The way she made it sound her family was just your average family. Her Dad is an accountant and her Mom is a secretary at a business in a local town.

I had told her about my parents kicking me out and how they never were as supportive as I wanted them to be.

I had asked her why she hated my sister and she said it was because she had spread a rumor about her family that almost caused her Dad to lose his job.

"I assume I'll see you at school tomorrow?" Hallie asked as I walked out of the door.

"Yes you will" I replied.

We both said goodbye and I headed back to my new 'home'. When I arrived I took a shower and started unpacking. 5 hours later I was done unpacking and it was about midnight. I texted Abbie to see where she is and she told me she's not going to be back until tomorrow afternoon. With that being settled, I got in bed and watched some Vampire Diaries on Netflix before drifting off to sleep thinking about what school here will be like.