Chapter 30; A truly terrible plan.

With a feeling as though this was a horrible idea-- it was-- and that he was about to die-- he probably would-- Liam rushed up to captain Valentine's side, Tophsy on his heels.

The captain, having left Sinclair with the task of keep the side from spiraling out of control, was now standing next to one of the ship's cannons along with the few pirates who had not fled in cowardice.

Together with Coin, Burn, Raven, and Spyglass, Valentine managed to make several dents in the serpent's metal scales without being harpooned. Yet besides that, her greatest pleasure seemed to be cursing at the top of her lungs at the beast, using the most colourful phrases Liam had ever heard.

And, preferably, never wanted to hear again.

"Captain!" he shouted, cutting her off mid-swear, "I think I have a plan."

"Ah, Hawky," Valentine replied, ignoring his statement completely and clapping him roughly on the shoulder, "Come to die at the front lines, I see."

"No, captain. I have a plan to save the ship."

Her grin fading slightly, she gave him a look filled almost with sadness, her eyes losing some of their usual sparkle. "I don't think we can get out of this... not by any plan. Still, whatever it is, we can try seeing as I'm not the type to give up in a battle-- isn't that right, Sin?"

Glancing at Sinclair, Liam watched as the man nodded curtly, his teeth grit as he struggled to keep the ship's wheel from spinning out of his grasp, he muscles in his arms straining with the effort.

Finally, Liam looked away, saying to the captain almost desperately, "All I need is to get to that trap door on the machine. From there I can find its power core and shut it down. All I need," he hesitated for a moment before plunging on, "Is to get close enough to the serpent; I need you to reel him in."

Valentine frowned, saying "Absolutely not." in the same moment that Sinclair called over his shoulder in a rigid tone, "Don't be stupid."

"It's our only way!" Liam shouted, just as the monster lunged, locking its jaws on the airship's hull, the pops and cracks of splitting wood ringing drily in the air. Swallowing nervously, Liam went on, gazing pleadingly at the captain and Sinclair. "I know you're frightened, and believe me, I'm just as scared but... I don't want you to die."

"I'm game on not dying." Coin put in.

"I don't want anyone to die except you."

"Why don't you jump over-board!"

"Boys!" Valentine shouted as the creature continued to gnaw on their ship, "Fighting now will get us all killed, so I'd appreciate it if you'd kindly stuff it." Then, turning to Liam, her gaze went serious, her eyes determined. "Do whatever you have to do to keep the crew alive. Just... be careful."

Nodding, Liam sprinted across the wet deck, hearing the captain shout one final command to the remaining crew to help him in whatever way they could and to leave the cannons to her.

Thus, with Burn, Coin, Spyglass, Raven, and Tophsy following him, Liam sprinted over the slippery deck, his heart in his throat, his skin slick with a mix of sweat and rain.

He was going to die. He was going to die.

Gritting his teeth against the fear that threatened to overtake him, Liam sucked in a breath as the beast unlatched its jaw from the airship, rising to its full height as it caught sight of the pirates approaching. 

With a hiss of steam, it opened its mouth once more, the gears and cogs in the back of its throat turning, whirring, clanging, as bits and piece were moved into place. Then, with a horrid snap, another harpoon shot from its mouth, quickly replaced by another and another and another.