Chapter Thirty Six

"I didn't really fall, you know." I informed him before securing my arms around his neck and nuzzling my face in the crook of his neck. 

Nicolas just hummed in reply and continued to walk while carrying me in his arms. 

"I can walk on my own." Contradictory to my words, I made no move to try to get him to put me down. 

He hummed again, just to let me know that he had heard me. 

"You're not going to let me down?" I asked again with a smile playing on my lips. 

This time he finally spoke. "Every time I take my eyes off you, you end up crying. So, no. I won't." 

His reasoning shut me up right away. 

"I'm going to look for another job. Somewhere closer." I let him know a few moments later. 

"You should think about it more before deciding anything." He suggested calmly. 

I shook my head instantly. "I've decided." 

When he didn't reply, I rubbed my nose against the side of his neck, trying to get attention. 

"Blue…" He let out in a breathy voice. I heard him inhale and exhale slowly a few times before continuing. "You shouldn't-" 

His words were cut off as my stomach growled loudly. The weird voice sounded excessively loud in the quiet atmosphere and I felt my cheeks warm up in embarrassment. 

His chuckle increased my embarrassment tenfold. "We'll talk about it after dinner. You didn't eat anything during the day either." 

~~~

"I don't know why I'm surprised that you can cook." I said as Nicolas handed me the wooden bowl. 

"I learned it a few years back. We don't really cook much, unless we have a young one. Pups can't shift until they're nine. So, until then they eat like humans." Nicolas took his own bowl and sat beside me. 

"And after they can shift?" I questioned before placing a spoonful in my mouth. 

Nicolas looked at me from the corner of his eyes as he replied. "They eat like wolves." 

My eyebrows furrowed, not only because of his answer but also because of the taste permeating my mouth. I placed another spoonful in my mouth, trying to decipher the strange taste. 

"How's it?" Nicolas asked after I had swallowed yet another spoonful. 

I nodded my head immediately, trying not to cough as a bitter aftertaste filled my mouth. "It's good. What's in it?" 

The longer I waited for the bitter taste to dilute, the more intense it got. The urge to cough got so strong, I could feel myself tearing up. 

"Whatever edible we could forage from around here." He responded as he swallowed spoonfuls after spoonfuls with an ease. 

I tried to clear my throat quietly to make sure I don't end up coughing out my next spoonful. "Fresh ingredients. That must be why it tastes so good." 

Nicolas was close to finishing his second bowl by the time I finished half of mine. The bitter taste had gotten into every nook and cranny inside my mouth and I was struggling not to throw up every time I swallowed yet another spoonful. 

"Would you like some more?" Nicolas asked, already extending the brimming ladle toward my bowl. 

A cough disguised as a chuckle left my mouth and I shook my head immediately. "No, thank you. I'm full."