9: Everything In The Supermarket Is Free During Doomsday

It was too hot.

Unless one experienced it himself, the heat was completely beyond imagination. Just as her sweat appeared, it immediately evaporated, followed by the next bout of hot perspiration. She felt as if her entire body system was struggling to keep her alive, just like an old dog on its deathbed, rapidly panting amidst the blistering hot air.

Comparatively, Luther looked much stronger. Even though he was carrying Marcie, he was definitely doing better than Lin Sanjiu. He noticed it himself and asked loudly, "Hey... You... body becoming stronger?"

"What?" Lin Sanjiu raised her voice and shouted. The engine sounds around them were too loud. Luther was just on the other side of the car, but she had difficulty hearing him.

"I said," Luther went around the car and walked toward her. Marcie was taller than him, so while he carried her on his back, her feet dragged on the ground. "Have you experienced your body becoming stronger?"

She had only said a single word just now, yet Lin Sanjiu could feel that her tongue was totally dry. It was so dry that she could feel the dryness in her larynx. She did not dare to open her mouth again. She only shook her head, hinting to Luther that they should quickly continue walking. Luther's face showed his surprise, and he wanted to say something... but how was this a good time for idle chatter? He quickly nodded his head as they continued traversing through the queue of cars, which were spewing hot air.

Lin Sanjiu had to wipe her eyes every few steps. She was sweating too much, as the sweat kept entering her eye. The hot stingy sensation was unbearable. She couldn't refrain from doubting herself. Was there a time limit to the effectiveness of her Heat Resistance Adaptation? Otherwise, why didn't she feel as hot before when they first started, yet she was perspiring so profusely now?

If this went on, could she even reach the supermarket before dying from dehydration?

The two of them looked around in silence. There was a median barrier in the center of the road that separated the two direction flows of the traffic. However, in times of crisis, there were only that many people who could still abide by the traffic code. Currently, the cars were tangled in a messy disarray. Some of the cars were in the right direction, while there were others that were trapped against the traffic...

If they had to climb over that barrier, it would not only take a toll on their body, but carrying Marcie would also be a problem. Furthermore, they had to continue walking through that burning hot car queue again. That would definitely kill them.

Without even discussing, both of them walked towards the end of the queue.

The person who drove the Land Rover was a skinny woman. When they walked past, Lin Sanjiu noticed that the driver had fallen over in the car. She had sunken eyes and was already unconscious. She probably succumbed to the confusion before because of dehydration. She must have crashed her car in that state.

As for the tiny car whose hood had been ruined, it was certain that the air-conditioner in the car was probably unusable now. Miraculously, thanks to the cool air that was retained, the fat middle-aged man in the car was still alive. Ever since the two of them left their car, he had been eyeing them closely.

When Lin Sanjiu walked past the side of his car, the fat man suddenly faced her direction and rapped on his car window quite a few times.

Honestly speaking, Lin Sanjiu was not a hard-hearted person. However, she felt as if she was melting; she did not even know how long she could last. There was no way she could even squeeze an ounce of compassion, so she just looked at the fat man with a frown.

Behind a sheet of glass, the fat man's voice was muffled and unclear, "Outside... hot... Can we still walk?"

Lin Sanjiu could roughly guess what he meant. She shook her head, indicating that he could not. After that, she continued forward. The hot exhaust that was spewing from the car made the bad situation even more insufferable. She really couldn't stand not moving away.