13: Yet Another Posthuman

As if someone had added water to her memories and made some porridge with them, her memories were like a cloudy broth. She could only remember herself lying asleep in her own bed as it gradually became warmer and warmer. She became more and more thirsty... Suddenly, she felt gentle concern from the man beside her. She grabbed his hand and whispered, "I'm thirsty..."

She suddenly opened her eyes. For a split second, Lin Sanjiu thought that she saw that snow white face again. She exhaled and propped herself up. She shook her head and looked at the surroundings around her with the faint bit of light.

The fancy supermarket, where she occasionally went to get some imported snacks to sample on, was now dead. It was dark, quiet, and a complete mess.

A skinny woman had buried her face in her own thick red hair and was sleeping soundly. The fair, handsome young man that was lying beside Marcie opened his eyes a little when he heard Lin Sanjiu's movements.

"You're awake?" Luther, who had just awoken, asked instinctively. He looked at the clock that hung on the supermarket wall. "Oh! It is already past 6 pm."

Marcie was woken up by their voices. She rubbed her eyes tiredly and sat up.

"No wonder I feel hungry..." Lin Sanjiu could hear the sound of her digestive juice from her stomach. She drank a mouthful of water and muttered, "That little, dried corpse is finally quiet." Indeed, the area where the staff room was had become quiet. The shelves were still blocking the door, and it was as if there had never been a Wang Sisi.

Luther replied, "I will bring some food over." With that, he got up, dragged his feet, and yawned a few times as he walked to the food section. He came back with a few vacuum-packed food-like duck feet and chicken drumsticks

After they had woken up, they found that the previously tense, uneasy atmosphere before they slept was almost gone. The three of them sat relaxed in a circle, eating and chatting at the same time.

"I have to say, you don't look like someone who has been on a battlefield," Lin Sanjiu made fun of Luther lightheartedly. She was in a good mood after having managed to find a packet of her favorite butter cookies.

Hearing this, Marcie snorted, "Don't bring this up. When we joined the army, I had to train every day. He had it good. Using his ability to transform, he lived quite comfortably..."

"Really, tell me about it!" Lin Sanjiu laughed and continued asking.

Luther heard the two of them gossiping, but his mouth was stuffed with food so he could not explain himself. He anxiously gulped down a few mouthfuls of water, hoping to swallow the food down, but he nearly choked himself... Suddenly, rare sounds of laughter rang out in the supermarket. They laughed and joked, and for a moment, it seemed as if the apocalypse world was not so scary after all.

When she heard the laughter, Wang Sisi was pissed. She rammed the door and let out a sharp shriek.

The three of them slept through the morning with that screaming in the background, so they were already accustomed to her existence. They did not even stop to blink but continued eating calmly. Surrounded by the ear-piercing background noise made by Wang Sisi, Luther tutted, "It would be great if we could have some fried vegetables and rice!"

This reminded Lin Sanjiu, she clapped her hands together suddenly, "Aren't we going to my apartment to search for Ren Nan's corpse? There is a gas stove in the apartment that should still work. Let's bring some rice over. I'm not sure if we are able to fry vegetables, but making some pork porridge shouldn't be a problem."

Once she made that suggestion, the other two started to salivate. Luther was the first one to jump up. He pulled Marcie along with him enthusiastically, running around the supermarket. They gathered all the ingredients within a few minutes: Thai rice, mineral water, and vacuum-packed meat...