12 - Distant Howl

Lancelot burst out of the mines, his fellow knights following close behind. The mountains around them seemed to close them off in the dark. The knight wasn't sure if he felt safe or not. He needed to get back. Whether it be for his king, his duty, or his love.

The heat within his heart was meant for only one. Yet he felt crushed every time he acted upon his feelings. He wondered if this was similar to how Terran Dean felt about the fall of his family. Was he crushed? Was he still crushed? Did he feel the same burning passion?

He helped the young lady and the boy atop of one of their waiting horses before getting on one himself.

"Come! Follow me!" Lancelot shouted, "We should get back as quickly as possible!"

The murder of crows overhead made noises overhead. Some flew off ahead and the others spread out over their heads. They would become their eyes.

The knight focused his eyes forward and continued on.

-------

Terran held admiration for her, that much was true. But that couldn't fully describe the way he feels. Perhaps it was how similar they are that draws him to her. Yes, surely that was it.

The sun shown down on the king of knights, casting a shadow over the knights that stood below her on the hill. It was serene. An image he only got when reading children's books all those years ago.

Perhaps his admiration was closer to infatuation after all. But what good were these feelings? He couldn't act upon them nor tell anyone about them. In the end, he couldn't determine what he truly felt.

The next thing that came to mind; did he deserve to know? He had never had thoughts like this before. Was he allowed to?

"You seem rather tense." Merlin interrupted hos train of thought.

"I'm just lost in thought." He replied.

That much was true, even if his thoughts were rather embarrassing.

"Yes, I could tell." The mage smiled, "What about?"

"Nothing in particular." The knight answered quickly.

He answered to quickly. He could tell by the questioning look on Merlin's face.

"And here I thought your mind drifted off to our king." He teased.

In truth, the mage was conflicted. He regretted the way he let Artoria rule, but speaking to the lion knight about his recent mood might make things awkward. He wanted Artoria to have happiness. He wanted her to know that she was able to seek that out, that she didn't need to sacrifice herself for the sake of her people. She was king, after all.

"Why would I be thinking of her?" He Asked, "I already swore my loyalty. What more is there to discuss?"

He shifted on his feet, a nervous habit from his childhood. Merlin easily took notice of this change in character and took advantage.

"I'm talking about your feelings, of course."

Terran wanted to deny such things, but the words wouldn't leave his throat. He couldn't force the words up. He could neither deny or confirm what the mage had said.

"Now isn't the time for such things." Terran said, "I'm awaiting the arrival of my nephew and Herald Cross."

He opted to avoid the conversation altogether.

"After all, that is more important."

He walked away, leaving the mage on his own.

Merlin knew Terran was choosing duty over happiness. He was much like his king in that sense. The two of them were so similar, yet they had differences that could only be explained by their upbringings. Both of them had odd feelings toward the other. He knew this because of his long conversations with the Lady Haven.