Chapter 62

The next morning...

Jughead Pov:
"Care to explain what's going on, Jug?", Archie requested as Veronica snuggled into his side, her legs curled up in a fuzzy blanket with Archie's arm thrown around her.

"Don't think we didn't notice that your light never went out, Jug.", Veronica added both with exhaustion and annoyance, but also curiosity. "Then you call us down here first thing in the morning. What's got your nerves all wired?".

My right leg bounced anxiously as I took shallow breaths from my cupped hands, gathering every ounce of remaining confidence and my plans as I contemplated how I might formulate and execute my thoughts.

"O-Okay. Well, long story short, I spent a good amount of time on the way to drop the girls off at home reweighing our... kerfluffle, and came to the conclusion that I miss Betty more than I'd like to and that I'm not sure how much longer I can possibly stand to live without her...", I blurted, my syllables rushed and slurred as I spat everything out all at once.

Veronica's previously clearly sleep-deprived, gloomy exterior suddenly brightened and glowed with a newfound excitement and joy. "REALLY? You're actually willing to forgive her??", she shouted in disbelief, Archie's expression giving hint that he also shared the same incredulity before he cut in. "Yeah, Jug. You were furious yesterday. Sure, you've been visibly downcast these past few days, but all things considered, you act-".

"YES, GUYS! JESUS, ISN'T THAT WHAT I JUST SAID??", I roared, my jumbled emotions struggling to adequately respond to my confused friends who have been nothing but hospitable and good to me. "I'm sorry, I- this is just a lot for me to be doing. I didn't mean to yell, but yes, I want to forgive Betty. I'm still upset, of course, but I realized that if I were placed in her shoes with everything she is forced to endure, I might've made the same mistake. Not to mention, I also made some pretty awful mistakes myself.".

My tone came off how I'd initially planned; calm and composed. Veronica and Archie began to settle, taking a few deep breaths as they re-collected themselves.

"Well were very happy to hear that, Jug. As much as I love Betty, you don't have to forgive her. But personally, I'm thrilled that you have chosen to do so. She was in horrible shape when I saw her, Jug. You saw her yesterday. I'm not sure how rough she looked then, but I do know she was a wreck when I went to fetch your things.", Veronica recalled, myself remembering her pink-tinted cheeks and slightly puffy eyes.

"That's part of the reason, if I'm being honest. I can't stand seeing her, or even imagining her, in that much pain, no matter who's fault it ultimately was.".

"Also, I've made more mistakes than are visible from the surface... I promised her that I wouldn't leave, especially since she's pregnant, and I did exactly that. I did exactly what she was afraid of both now and 5 years ago. I let her down. I should've been stronger. Don't try to change my mind on that, Archie.". Archie quickly shut his mouth and lowered his finger, nodding his head in acceptance.

"Yeah, you're right. You fucked up big time, so don't worry, we're not going to correct you. You both fucked up. Nonetheless, you both deserve to be happy. You two have a family and are basically perfect together.". Veronica's smile gleamed with enthusiasm and the comforting thoughts of two of her best friends being happy once more.

"So... What's the plan, Jug?".

Yes, this is short. Do I care? No 😌
Also I kinda vibe with this whole tough-love aspect of Veronica.